Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Just Finished Reading... Born of Defiance by Sherrilyn Kenyon

This is a hard book to rate/review. I'm probably leaning toward it being a 3.5 rather than a 4, but I decided to rate up, as from an author point of view, I know how important ratings are, though maybe not for someone as massive as Sherrilyn Kenyon who has already made her mark on the publishing world.
So, before I talk about this book, I want to say don't get me wrong, I respect the hell out of SK. She was one of my idols twelve years ago when I was a baby writer and I was chewing my way through her Dark-Hunter / Were-Hunter books like they were cotton candy.
And when she (re-)released the League books, I was over the moon because what the emerging sci-fi romance genre needed was someone with a market presence like SK to set the relatively unheard-of genre on it's way. Not that I'm sure her League books really achieved that.
Anyway, the first few League books, I absolutely loved. But I think I'm beginning to get series fatigue. Or maybe SK is getting series fatigue. Either way, it felt like while all the usual moves were being made in this book, it wasn't quite ringing true. Like it was an echo of something that should have been much more substantial.
Maybe I'm just getting picky in my older (not old, hell no!) age. Like, I felt like I was being told about all these crazy tough Alpha males and kick-ass chicks, but not really experiencing it. Sure, Talyn could and did beat the crap out of about 1000 guys (not an exaggeration) but the rest... I don't know. I also never really "got" Felicia. This was especially a problem in the second half of the book. However, I think this was because there was SO much story crammed into the last part, it was kind of one beating, on top of another drama, on top of another abduction attempt, on top of some Alpha blah-blah "going to gut anyone who touches my woman," on top of people escaping, and changing alliances, and blowing people (aliens?) up... I think I skimmed at least the last quarter.
Plus, it was like there were scenes missing. Like half the action was happening elsewhere while Talyn was off doing something else. Plus some scenes that I felt like were really important and/or climatic happened in a matter of paragraphs. Obviously this was already a pretty long book and not everything could get jammed in there, but still, it felt lacking in the end, especially in feeling like certain threads were left unresolved. Plus, this book was really heavy on needing to remember what had happened in previous books, and since I've read all these books 12 months+ apart, half the time I was like "who was that and what happened to them again and why is that important??"
Anyhoo, I'm not saying it was a bad read. If it was a bad read, I would have DNF'ed it (like I have with nearly every book I've tried to read this year) because with my own contracts and writing schedule, I don't have time to waste on books I'm not enjoying. So yeah, it was a good read, and I enjoyed being back in the world of the League again, but I just don't know if I'd ever bother reading it again.

No comments: