Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Just Finished Reading... Extreme Exposure by Pamela Clare

I had been looking for a good romantic suspense book for a fair while, wanting an author who could really suck me in like Suzanne Brockmann. Someone suggested Pamela Clare's I-team novels, so I bought the first one and then it sat on my bookshelf for weeks. I'm not sure if my tastes have gotten harder to please over the years, or I'm just so busy that I subconsciously don't want to spend what little reading time I have on a book I have to work at liking or reading. I'd started and put down A LOT of books in the last few months and was reluctant to pick up Extreme Exposure in case it wasn't as good as I hoped. When I finally picked up this book, it was actually a relief to find I connected with the characters and got sucked in within a few pages.
 

Kara is a typically driven reporter with one point of difference: she has a four year old son, Conner. Part of why I enjoyed this book so much, I think, is because Conner wasn't just a story device as kids sometimes end up being, only brought out when they're need to cause conflict, and strangely not around 90% of the time so the h&h can get it on uninterrupted. This always annoys me because the realities of kids is that they're ALWAYS around and it is quite hard to get time alone, or go gallivanting around, doing whatever you want. Connor was his own character, and Kara's struggle between self-mom-work-professional-and-personal was handled very well and very realistically, in my opinion. There were times when she had to choose between her son and the career she loved, and my heart ached for her as she felt the guilt and shortcomings. Also, she got to tell her crappy boss where to go, but didn't lose her job because he wasn't treating her (or the other staff) fairly anyway. I'm sure we've all had crappy bosses we've wanted to yell at,so I was cheering her on for that.
 

As for Reece, at first I was a bit worried that I was not going to like him by the end of the book. He had "too perfect" hero syndrome at first. A man who used to be a school teacher, he became a senator to show his students that one man could make a difference and not be corrupted by politics. He was tall, handsome, loved to cook, wanted to look after her, was more interested in her pleasure than his own, willing to take things slow and stood firm about wanting a relationship even when Kara hesitated. Etc, etc, etc. Personally I'm not a fan of the perfect hero, usually, unless they get suitably tortured over the course of the story (I'm mean, I know) but luckily, Reece faced his share of fire through a series of events (which I won't reveal, because I didn't see one in particular coming, so won't spoil it for anyone else!) in the end, I thought Reece and Kara deserved each other (in a good way) and enjoyed seeing their HEA. I'm definitely going to get the next books in the I-Team series and hope they're as good as this one!

No comments: