Saturday, March 14, 2015

Just Finished Watching... Jupiter Ascending




I'd been wanting to see this movie for months before it came out, but my life is a little busy and hectic at times, so I've only just managed to find time to finally see this movie. But that's okay, I went in the middle of a weekday and there were only 4 other people in the cinema with me, which meant I didn't get distracted by chatters, noisy eaters or people going in and out.
So, first off I just have to say that I really liked this movie. I wanted to love it because its right up the alley of the genre I write in (sci-fi romance), but I can see why it hasn't gotten the best reviews. However I'm not here to talk about what other people think!
So, it had lots of great action and of course the love story between Jupiter and Caine which developed nicely over the course of the movie, underpinned by some good (not great, but pretty good) chemistry between the characters and well played sexual tension.
However, I felt like this movie didn't quite know what it wanted to be, and sometimes lost focus. For example, Caine was a genetically spliced super-soldier designed for war. But he'd been spliced with some kind of wolf-like creature and the word "lycan" was dropped. I would have been fine with the explanation that he was a genetically enhanced soldier and leave it at that without the whole werewolf thing. Okay, I know he wasn't a werewolf and no one actually used the term werewolf apart from that mention of
"lycan" however, it just felt a little too much like someone was grappling at the paranormal straws of popularity.
And then right in the middle it got even more confusing when it was like The Capitol (Hunger Games) met Harry Potter in some advanced, yet inexplicable steam-punk kind of thing when Caine took Jupiter to register her title and claim her estate, or Earth, or whatever the heck she genetically inherited.
The other thing that really got me was the Star-Wars-esque music played over the action scenes, especially the ones in the cool fighter jets. Its not the seventies any more and this was far from a Star Wars franchise installment or remake, so to me that sort of music in a movie like this simply didn't mesh and made it seem like it was trying to hard.
Also, don't get me started on the wings Caine had gotten by the end of the movie. 
Yeah, I wanted this movie to be more sci-fi than it actually was.
I think there were a few elements that could have been tweaked in a different direction to make this movie epic. The Wachowskis need to go take a few notes out of Jason Rothenberg's book, because this week's season finale of The 100 was epic, especially the goodbye between Clarke and Bellamy--the tone, the music, the script and the actor's performance all came together to create a scene that will go down as one of my all time favorites, and definitely the best parting scene I've ever watched, but that's a blog post for another day.
Overall, I'd give Jupiter Ascending four out of five stars. It was great, but it could have been brilliant, and probably because it got canned by a lot of "serious" reviewers, it'll probably be a long time before we see a movie of this specific genre released again.

No comments: