Saturday, February 21, 2015

Just Finished Reading... Captive Prince by CS Pacat

Another author I know mentioned this book when I caught up with her for lunch earlier in the week, and it sounded intriguing, so I went home and downloaded a sample on iTunes books ('cos I have an iPad mini and I'm lazy, so that's where I get all my books from these days). Pretty much from the first few pages I was totally sucked into this book and so I immediately downloaded the full book... and then proceeded to sit up until 1am reading every single word. As soon as I finished it, I downloaded volume two, and the next evening got a slightly earlier start, so I managed to finish it by the respectable time of 11:30pm.
Look, I'll admit that this isn't the best example of world building in the fantasy genre, but this author knows how to tell a story and keep readers turning the pages. The whole premise hinges on Prince Damen being handed over to the enemy, Prince Laurent as a slave. Damen's bastard brother has killed their father and seized the crown, and his country thinks Damen dead as well. Laurent has no idea that Damen in the prince of the realm they've been at war with, and worse, during a battle some years ago, Damen killed Laurent's older brother who should have inherited the crown. Throw in some serious court intrigue and it makes for one twisty read.
I was seriously disappointed that volume three hadn't come out yet. There had been some talk of it coming out last year, but nothing eventuated. There had been some mention of it being release later this year, or even as far into 2016, but I'm not holding my breath. If its taken this long for the book to eventuate, then my guess is that the author may be having some sort of trouble with it.  
Like so many others, I'm dying to find out what happens when Laurent discovers who Damen really is. Also, there are huge questions about how Laurent is going to beat his evil uncle and exactly how Damen is going to get his country back and whether or not the two of them will find a way to be together.
My final say on the matter? I really think this story would make an awesome movie and I'd love to see it on the big screen.

No comments: