Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday Tunes - Wild at Heart by Birds of Tokyo

Yes! I have come up with a new theme day to make posting easier on myself.
For my first ever Tuesday Tunes, I'm quickly going to talk about a song that has pretty much become the theme song to Atrophy (coming out with Entangled some time in the near future).
I have a kind of core playlist that I tend to write to, no matter which book I'm working on. This playlist is pretty fluid, its slowly changed over the years, with some songs being taken off, while I've added new ones. My tastes are kind of all over the place, though hard rock/alternative is definitely a feature. Some songs have remained constant because something about the music easily puts me into that writing space.
But the one song I want to talk about today has set itself apart from my generic writing playlist.
Wild at Heart by Birds of Tokyo.
Birds of Tokyo have a lot of great songs that I really love, and the lead singer is also singer with another band, Karnivool, which are also really awesome.
At the time I started writing Atrophy, Birds of Tokyo's self-titled album had just come out and I was listening to it a lot. I can't remember exactly when I realized this song embodied the book, or vice-versa, but I do know from the first moment I heard this song, it lit something up inside me.
And I still don't know how to explain it, except to say that when I hear this song, I get the same feeling as when I'm immersed in the Atrophy universe.


No comments: