Thursday, April 17, 2014

Once Upon a Time 3x17 -- The Forbidden Kiss

Its getting toward the end of the TV season, and most shows are heading toward a big season finale climax. One of the shows building toward a great finish at the moment is Once Upon a Time. If you're not up to date with this show and don't want to know what's going on, then I suggest you avert your gaze.
The first half of season 3 was great, with the storyline of trying to get Henry back from Neverland, while a love triangle developed between Hook, Emma and Neal. I always thought Hook and Emma had the better chemistry, but Neal and Emma had history, which can often be just as, if not more compelling than new chemistry. I loved that Hook was the one who turned up to find Emma at the mid-season finale (see my post on ships that aren't shipping, but totally should be, part three for more Emma and Hook info) except when he tried to kiss her into remembering, that didn't turn out so well.
Fast forward to now, and the connection between them has steadily built, aided by the fact that the writers killed off Neal, neatly wrapping up the little love triangle, and leaving no competition for Hook. Honestly, even if Neal hadn't died, I still think Emma would have picked Hook. Yes, she and Neal had something many years ago, and they still shared Henry as their son, but I think Neal was Emma's past, and it wouldn't have worked if she'd gone back to him.
But that's all hearsay now that Neal is dead. Okay, it was a little bit sad, but in the scheme of characters the writers could have killed off, I think they made a good choice. 
But back to Emma and Hook. Obviously, Hook is keeping some secrets about what happened in the missing year that no one except him remembers and this week we got a peep into that story. Hook tried to forget about Emma, but his heart was quite obviously broken over the fact that he would probably never see her again. As one of those "gray" characters I love so much, he made some bad choices, which left him thinking he'd been responsible for the death of an innocent man. The guilt had apparently eaten at him ever since, but like a typical bad-boy, or stoic Alpha male, he buried all his feelings, got back on his ship, The Jolly Rodger, and I assume did his best to forget about it all.
Unfortunately for Hook, the show's current villain knew all about this and used it against him, tricking Hook into declaring his feelings for Emma and making a vow on her name.  


After it turned out the Wicked Witch was pretending to be Ariel to trick Hook, I was very impressed, totally didn't see that one coming. It was a great episode, with Hook in angst over what he'd done, only to find he'd been fooled. And the kicker? Now that the Wicked Witch has cursed him, if he kisses Emma, her powers will be taken away. And if he tries to tell her, or doesn't follow through with the nefarious scheme? Then the Wicked Witch would target Emma's family, starting with Henry.
So Hook has found himself in an untenable situation, without much room to move. Emma is beginning to see him as her hero, but ultimately, he could end up being her downfall.
My writer's mind came up with all sorts of scenarios to how this is all going to end, the most obvious that Hook tries to be noble and not kiss her, but inevitably the kiss will happen and then Emma will be left feeling betrayed, destroying their fledgling relationship. Second to this, I wondered if Hook would end up telling her, and then with Regina's help they would find a way to trick the Wicked Witch into thinking Emma's powers had failed, but they really haven't. Thirdly, I wonder if when the kiss does happen, it will be a kiss of true love, which will be stronger than the curse and ultimately break it. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find the writers come up with another scenario entirely which will surprise me with the ending, and those are the ones I love.
Whatever the case, the next few episodes can't come around fast enough, I'm on the edge of my seating, waiting to see what will happen. 

5 comments:

D. D. Line said...

I'm hoping for your second option. I was yelling at my tv telling Hook to just bloody tell her the truth. LOL

It's the same between Sam and Dean in Supernatural. Why don't they just talk to each other? It would make for some new complications rather than the usual 'secrecy' tactic.

Jess Anastasi said...

oh, don't get me started on Supernatural! Dean was breaking my heart this week, especially when he and Cas had that conversation at the end. But I think that's a blog post for another day!
I'm hoping that Hook will find a way to tell her as well, because I really like where their relationship is going and don't want to see it go backwards! But I get the feeling the writers will come up with something totally different that we won't see coming!

D. D. Line said...

My apologies for mentioning the 'S' word. LOL And yes, his conversation with Cas is another of my 'shaking my fist at the TV' moments. Fingers crossed for Hook and Emma. :)

I see by your latest blog we are in agreement regarding Ward on Marvel's Agents of Shield also. Love Joss Whedon so can't wait to see where this goes. I hope Ward is a double, or at least swings back to Coulson's side. Did you have a chance to see the new Captain America movie to get the tie in?

Jess Anastasi said...

Hell yeah, I'm praying Ward isn't really a bad-bad guy. I can't wait to see what happens in the next few weeks, though I think whatever is going to happen between him and Skye next week is going to hurt!
And no, I haven't had a chance to see Captain America yet, I'm hoping to, but knowing me, I'll end up waiting until it comes out on DVD. :)

D. D. Line said...

Ah yes, the joys of finding babysitters. :/ Hope you manage to find some time to see it.

And oh yeah, Skye has some hurting headed her way.