Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday Muse - David Lyons as Sebastian "Bass" Monroe from Revolution

Welcome to January! Here we are, in 2014, and what better way to start the year off than with a Monday Muse? Just a side note, I know that 2013 was a bit spotty when it came to my blog, but this year I'm hoping to get back into old habits of posting at least once, if not several times a week.
But on to more interesting topics.
Revolution had been on my to-watch list since it premiered back in 2012 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong.) I'd heard mixed reviews about it, some saying it was really great, while others saying "meh, not so much." I knew that Eric Kripke was behind the show, and since he was the creator of Supernatural, that was enough to get me interested. However, when I also found out that JJ Abram (Alias) and Rockne S. O'bannon (Sea Quest, Farscape and Defiance) were involved, I realized I might be in for something great.
So I started watching... and then I couldn't stop watching. Season one was good, and steadily got better. But season two has so far been kind of awesome. There are a couple of reasons why I think this. One is the complexity of Miles and Monroe's relationship. When Revolution first starts, Sebastian Monroe is made out to be the bad guy -- totally black and white -- a power-hungry sociopath obsessed with arming his militia with weapons of mass destruction to wipe out his enemies and take over the continent. But as season one shapes up, its revealed that Monroe and Miles grew up together, were once brothers in all but blood.
This relationship came to an awkward end when Miles attempted to assassinate Monroe, but at the last second couldn't pull the trigger. In the second half of the season, when Miles and Monroe have the inevitable face-off, Monroe says that everything he ever did was for Miles. That was when things started getting really interesting. The two end up teaming up for like a minute to take out a common enemy, but before long they're beating on each other again.
This relationship has echos of Sam and Dean's crazy, co-depandant brotherhood on Supernatural, and where Kripke really leaves his mark. Que the inevitable blogs about Revolution's homoerotic subtext. But it seems the writers are aware, and willing to work with it, as at one stage, Tom Neville, who used to be under command of Monroe in the Militia says to Monroe "you have a borderline erotic fixation on Miles Matheson." 
Whether or not the relationship is truly homoerotic, as many people argue Sam and Dean's is, this is the type of stuff I really love; exploring the bounds of an extremely complex relationship between two people who have a long history together.
The other thing I'm really impressed with as we get farther into season 2 is David Lyons as Sebastian "Bass" Monroe.
I first saw David Lyons on a little Australian drama called Sea Patrol, portraying Josh "ET" Holiday, the story based on an Australian Naval ship. He had an arcing storyline and a love interest on the show, which kept me tuning in every week because of the Navy's non-fraternization rules and the fact that both he and his girlfriend had everything to lose if they were caught. Unfortunately, the writers killed off his character at the end of season 2. It was one of those TV-deaths I didn't see coming, and was annoyed about for a long time after.
Fast forward to now, and Lyons is currently playing one of those gray characters I love so much.
At the beginning, he's simply the bad guy, but then we get a hint that maybe he's really a good guy at heart, lost on a dark path. After losing everything when the Monroe republic fell, now Bass has the opportunity to set himself on a new path. But of course, people's perceptions of him, his past, and old habits will see him struggling to redefine himself. 
Secondary to Bass redeeming himself, is the surprise twist of the writers having Bass and Charlie team up as unlikely allies. Despite the age difference (Charlie supposedly being something like 25 years younger than Bass) and the fact that I'm pretty sure in the near future, the writers are going to reveal that Miles is Charlie's father, I think there's a really awesome chemistry between Bass and Charlie. And I'm not the only one to think so. "Charloe" fanfiction and youtube dedications have been popping up all over the internet.




 There are a lot of reasons why Bass and Charlie shouldn't be together, starting with the age gap and ending with the fact that Charlie spent most of season one hating Bass, and then the first few episodes of season two trying to kill him. But I'm kind of hoping the writers will do something with the chemistry between them, even if they just continue teasing fans with the idea that it could happen, and spurring on the Charloe fanatics. Part of me is a realist that thinks it'll never happen, yet I have distant hope that the writers will just say "what the hell" and get them together... plus I found this on twitter:


So I'm going to hold out hope that if Sebastian Monroe really does get a love interest in the second half of season 2, that it will be Charlie, despite the minefield that would create. If not, there are going to be a lot of disappointed Charloe fans out there. 
For me, right now, this show has all the elements I love. Its due to start back in around two days time, and I can tell you, it can't come quick enough!
In the meantime, gratuitous shirtless picture...




2 comments:

Jenny Byrd-Minler said...

I love this show!!! And even though Bass is a murderous power hungry guy...there is this sweet/hurt child inside.
I was thinking it would be great if him and Charlie hooked up...but since she has slept with his son Connor, I don't for see it happening!

Jess Anastasi said...

Hi Jenny!
Yes, I love this show too (obviously).
But yes, things have gone a bit crazy since I wrote this post, and I think now it would take a lot to get Charlie and Monroe past her sleeping with Connor. It could be done, but the writers would have to have it as a long term intention and slowly work their relationship over a number of episodes. However, I've heard Revolution isn't likely to get renewed for season 3 :*(
So I guess if that happens we'll always be left wondering. Its a pity, because the concept of this show, and some individual episodes have been awesome, but it seems the writers couldn't quite get things on the right track to gain viewers and keep them this year.