Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Muse -- Hook from Once Upon a Time.

I love gray characters. What do I mean by that? I mean the shady characters, the ones who walk the line, the ones you can never say for sure are truly good or evil. The ones who play by their own rules no matter what.
There have been many of these characters over the years, and a few spring instantly to mind. But today I'm visiting the newest of the good/bad boy crew; Hook, from Once Upon a Time.
Growing up watching Disney's version of Peter Pan, if anyone said "Captain Hook" my mind always conjured up the idea of a goofy man, suffering from a range of inadequacies, who spends his life trying to catch this annoying kid. I mean, okay, the kid in question could fly. But still, part of me was always like "get over it, man. Seriously. Get some help and find something else to focus your energies on!"
OUAT's take on Hook... well, there's no other way to put it. The man is sexy. First off, you've got the costume. Its very pirate-like, but not over the top like Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow (but of course, that suited his character.)
Add the wind-blown hair, the masculine shade of a beard, and yes, okay, technically he's wearing eye-liner. But all together, I think this character is the perfect definition of rugged.
As for his actual character? Well, that's almost better than his face.
Hook has kept us guessing from week one. Yeah, he was working with the bad guys to get to Storybrooke, and yes, he wants to kill Mr. Gold/Rumple. But its for the sake of vengeance since Rumple killed Hook's love. And how many books/movies have we seen where the hero's driving motivation is revenge? It doesn't make the hero a bad guy, though some of the things he might do in the name of that vengeance could blur the lines between right and wrong.
Of course I'm hoping there will be some sort of catalyst that will make Hook eventually join the team for good once and for all. The chemistry between him and Emma was obvious. I know I'm not the only fan who is hoping the writers might explore that at some point in the future, even though Emma's ex, who is also Henry's father, has been jammed into the mix.
The prospect of an Emma/Hook storyline can almost make me forgive the writers for killing off Sheriff Graham, Emma's first almost-love interest, who was also an intriguing gray character. In the other realm, Graham was the hunter who was sent out to kill Snow White and worked for the evil Queen, but only because she had his heart in a box.
In that way, the two men are very similar characters, so in some respects, Hook has kind of taken Graham's role in the show.
Whichever way you look at it, the creators of OUAT have got us hooked... no pun intended. I know I'm on the edge of my seat week to week, waiting to see where the next installment will take us. As long as there is plenty more Hook to watch, then I'll be a happy viewer!

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I absolutely love Hook. He is such a likeable villain! Although, to be honest I don't think he really is that villainy? I mean, he has absolutely legitimate reasons to want to kill Rumplestiltskin. It does help that he is absolutely gorgeous as well...
I'm really intreged by how him and Neal know each other as well, I think there's definitely more interesting information to know!