Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dairy Free Sultana and Cornflake Cookies

A while ago I posted about living dairy free, and through a lot of experimentation, have started compiling some every day kind of recipes with dairy alternatives. Today I thought I'd share one of my favorites, which are also a hit with the kids -- Sultana and Cornflake Cookies

125gm (or half a cup) of *Nuttlex
2/3 cup of caster sugar
1 tea spoon of vanilla essence
1 & 1/4 cups self raising flour
1 tablespoon of **Vitasoy Oat Milk
1 & 1/2 cups of cornflakes
1/2 cup of sultanas

Method:
1)  Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (Celsius)
2) Cream Nuttlex and sugar until light and fluffy, and then add vanilla essence
3) Add sifted flour, mix until just combined
4) Add milk and stir to form dough
5) Lightly fold in cornflakes and sultanas
6) Line a tray with baking paper. Measure out teaspoon-sized portions of the mixture. Roll into balls and then press down lightly onto tray.
7) Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown.
8) Enjoy! ...Personally I like mine along side a cup of tea :)

* I use Original Nuttlex, but they have many different varieties, so go with whichever you like
** I've tried a lot of milk alternatives; soy (which I ended up intolerant to) rice milk, almond milk, etc. My own personal preference is Oat Milk. Its thicker than rice milk, and has a nicer taste I think, plus I've found if you use it in cooking, it tends to act like real milk, thickening up in dishes and adding a nice creaminess.

No comments: