Friday, August 31, 2012

Reading... Undone By His Touch, by Annie West

I'm going to start off this blog post by saying I don't read Harlequin Mills and Boons category-type romances. I have nothing against them, its just that few I'd tried in the past didn't really capture my imagination and I found the budding romances in them a bit contrived.
 But every now and then, you'll come across an author, and it doesn't matter what they've written, they suck you in from the first page and won't let you go until you've read every last page.
I got the copy of this book, signed by Annie (fellow RWAus member) after being involved with the RWAus online Claytons Conference two weekends ago.
My thought process was pretty much "well, I've got it, might as well see what its like" and didn't really think I'd get through much more than two or three chapters. How wrong I was!
This is a classic Beauty and The Beast type story, with the hero on the verge of becoming a recluse because he is blind, injured and scared from a tragic accident, which also claimed the life of his younger brother.
The heroine was very self contained, sensible, had an admiral inner strength and wasn't about to let the hero treat her badly. But, she didn't do it with over the top bravado or near masculine talk/action which we see from some heroines these days... and I'm thinking of one heroine in particular I read recently, in which her character ended up turning me off what was an otherwise good book.
Annie's writing is seamless, you can lose yourself in the story, because the words flow so easily. There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy a story where bad or clunky writing keeps pulling you out of the "world" you want to become immersed in.
I have nothing bad to say about this book. It was just fantastic, and I'm now off to see what other Annie West books I can track down. 

6 comments:

Efthalia Pegios said...

Jess,

Read "Girl in The Bedouin Tent." That was my first Annie West book and like you I was hooked to her voice. I've given it 5 stars on Goodreads.

I'd love to see something bigger and fatter from Annie West. She has such a strong voice and weaves her words together seamlessly.

Good review.

Smiles,
Effie

Jenny Schwartz said...

What a great review!

Undone By His Touch has just moved waaaay up the TBR pile :)

Jess Anastasi said...


yes, Effie! You're right, I want to see something of single title length from Annie because it would be so wonderful to get lost in her writing for something of that length. Seriously, you don't come across authors who can write like she does very often.
Will definitely be getting Girl in the Bedouin Tent, I was actually looking at it on Goodreads this morning :D

jenny Addicoat said...

I haven't finished mine as yet, but I do like how Annie writes. The way she writes is the way I would like too.
Her characters have me hooked and I look forward to reading more from Annie.
I too don't usually read Mills & Boon.

Cheers
Jenny A

D. D. Line said...

I couldn't agree more, Jess. :)

Loved the story, the characters and all the emotion that came with it. I look forward to reading more of Annie's stories too. :)

essie said...

umm where can i read it for free