Monday, June 4, 2012

When Life Gets in the Way

Blog post have been few and far between the last few months, and I think this is also being reflected in the amount of time I'm spending on my manuscript.
In a way, this is fortuitous, because I'll be attending and presenting at this year's RWA Claytons Conference, the online conference available to members who can't attend the actual conference on the Gold Coast in August. I'll be doing a workshop entitled Why We Write, along with some other, as yet unconfirmed authors. Part of this topic will be focusing on how to stay motivated or achieve some level of writing output when life seems to be getting in the way.
I know part of my personal problem at the moment comes from the fact that its winter here, it gets darker earlier and its that time of year when the kids will catch any germs that happen by. In the last few weeks we've had stomach bugs, basic colds, and chest infections. If I don't happen to catch these germs myself, I'm still having night after night of interrupted sleep.
The reason I mention this is because traditionally I've gotten most of my work done between 7:30pm to 10:30pm after the kids are in bed. However, they're getting older now and somehow bedtime has pushed out to 8pm - 8:30pm. By the time I get them settled, I'm about ready to go to bed myself and am in no way motivated to do any work.
Some people might say "well, that's easy, just get up early and do some work!" But I am extremely NOT a morning person and since my kids usually wake up between 6am to 6:30 am, I'd need to be up at 5am to get an hour of work in... sorry, but 5am is still the middle of the night in my world!
So I am going to spend the next few days/weeks finding ways to motivate myself and come up with different time frames to work in that I've never tried before. On one hand, this is going to help my own output (because I really need to get back into my old habit of doing at least 1000 words a day) and at the same time help me prepare for the workshop in August.
Also, I've been thinking about doing a series of blog posts, the A to Z of writing. I know a lot of other authors have been doing this and I think it looks fun. I figure though I'm poaching the idea, I'm putting my own spin on it, so that might be interesting...
Anyway, I actually have a quiet hour in my house right now to get some work done, so I should go do that!

1 comment:

Kez said...

Oh I hear you Jess! Looking forward to hearing how the different time trials go.