Saturday, June 30, 2012

Serenity 2.0?

So I'm in the mood for some Firefly/Serenity. I was very excited to see earlier in the week that the entire cast of Firefly would be reuniting at Comic-Con for the show's 10 year anniversary... 
Ten years? Surely not! It certainly doesn't seem that long ago since Firefly debuted and then got cruelly cut short by the pitiless execs at Fox.
Time warps aside, the reunion has sparked new rumors of a second Serenity film, even though the original film wasn't such a hit at the box office. The thing that has saved the Firefly/Serenity franchise are the enduring fans (who can be found all over the internet, mostly calling themselves Browncoats) and the steadily increasing DVD sales as this concept gradually became a cult classic. Okay, so it wasn't an instant, overnight success, but Firefly/Serenity will go down as one of the most brilliant TV shows/movies of our generation. Part of this legend might even be because of the circumstances in which Firefly got cancelled in the first place.
I think a second movie will easily outsell the first at the box office, by now there are enough die-hard fans salivating at the idea of another installment to make the dollars more than worthwhile for the interested financial parties. I suppose the bigger question is, will the cast want to do it, will Joss Whedon want to do it, and what exactly will they do without Wash and Shepard Book, who were both killed in the Serenity movie. Personally Wash was one of my favorite characters, and the dynamics likely won't be the same without him. And as for Shepard Book, I always wanted to know what his big secret was... Though apparently this can be discovered in the Serenity graphic novels available.
So while I try not to hope the a second Serenity movie will be forthcoming (because as much as I like the idea, I can't believe it will happen after all this time) I'll take myself off for a Firefly/Serenity re-watch in the meantime.

No comments: