Monday, February 20, 2012

I'd Like To See... Australia Get A Whole New Bunch of Politicians

I don't usually get into politics around here, but...
There's two things I'm really sick of living in Australia. One: the banks. Seriously? What a bunch of thieves! This month, the Reserve Bank Australia left interest rates on hold, yet a few days later, the banks put interest rates up anyway because apparently they can't "afford" to keep the rates so low (never mind the multi-billion dollar profit they make every year). Supposedly the RBA will be giving us an interest rate cut in the next few months, but now even if the banks do happen to pass the rate cut on (which I wouldn't be surprised to find they don't), we won't be any better off than we were last month.
And Two: politicians. The top politicians to be exact. Kevin Rudd brought the Labour party to power with "Kevin '07" and that was great, I've always voted Labour because I come from a working-class family background who've always voted Labour. Despite some things not working out so well, I actually think Rudd did a good job, spending money on building new schools and other initiatives that pumped money and jobs into our economy. And in actual fact, while the rest of the world struggled under the GFC, Australia weathered things pretty well, and I think a lot of that came down to Rudd's economy stimulus package.   And you know what? I actually kind of like K-Rudd. He was the most human-like, down to earth politician I'd seen in a while. When scandal broke about him going to strip clubs, somehow it only made him cooler.
And then the coup happened. K-Rudd was losing popularity, so Labour pushed him aside and made Julia Gillard Prime Minister. Though I was happy about Australia getting its first female PM, I wasn't all that keen on Ms. Gillard. But here we are, a little while later and the tables seem to be tilting back. Gillard is losing her popularity and there's been talk of K-Rudd stepping back in.
Yesterday, some footage emerged on youtube of K-Rudd loosing his crap, belting out a string of swearwords worthy of any blue-collar, pub-dwelling labourer. Many speculate it is an attempt to discredit K-Rudd and stop him from returning to power. Except like with the strip-club-scandal, I have a feeling that most people will actually see this in a positive light -- it proves that K-Rudd is just like the rest of us, sometimes he gets pissed about things. That's how I view it anyway.
Labour Party leadership aside, I'm of the opinion that it won't matter what Labour does, they're not going to win the next election. And I can't decide what would be worse any way. Liberal's Tony Abbott (shudder) or another few years stuck with Gillard if K-Rudd doesn't manage to wrench the leadership back? You know what, I don't want ANY of them. If only there was a serious third option for the Australian PM, but with the way our government is set up, I think it would take some serious upheaval for another candidate to emerge. Really, I'm over it. And the worse part? Unlike America, we don't get a choice whether or not to vote. We HAVE to vote, its the law. So who the heck am I going to vote for?!?! The Green Party? Don't get me started on Bob Brown...

1 comment:

Blogger said...

I have just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.