Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome to 2012: Year of the Unspecified Goal

I may have mentioned on here that in 2011, my goal was to get an agent. Unfortunately that goal morphed into selling my sci-fi romance, Atrophy, which didn't work out so well. I became a bit obsessed and couldn't see my ultimate career plan any longer.
So getting an agent in 2011 didn't work out so well. This year, I've decided I'm not going to focus so blindly on one direction. Don't get me wrong, I still want an agent. I believe in order to get to where I want my career to end up, an agent is a necessary ingredient. However, while I query agents, I'm also going to be pushing myself out of the comfort zone I found in 2011. Writing and submitting to Noble is easy, I have a home there now. They're my base and I will continue writing manuscripts for them throughout the year, I have several planned.
But I also want to increase my market exposure (*gasp* this is starting to sound like a... business plan! OMG how grown-up of me) and to do that, I've decided I need to publish with (possibly) several other small to medium publishers. Of course, publishing with one of the "big six" wouldn't be half bad, but I think part of my problem is I keep trying to leap for the "big six" except I can't quite reach them yet. I need to build up the ground beneath me... if that makes sense.
So, with that in mind, I guess I'm going for a multi-pronged approach this year. On one side I'll keep up with querying agents, while on the other I'll be submitting to places such as Carina, Avon's Impulse line (I already have submissions out with both of these publishers) and Samhain. I'll also be exploring a few of the smaller e-presses, such as Entangled who have a open call out at the moment which pricked my interest.
If that's not enough, I've also started a young adult manuscript for an open call a publisher here in Australia put out recently. This all might seem like a lot to take on, but I've gone so far as to set timelines and word count aims. I'm lucky that when I put my mind to it, I can churn out a lot of words in a short amount of time. The other day I wrote 6000 words in one day. The YAW manuscript is going to be 50,000 words long. I'm already 9000 words down and plan to have it finished in the next 8 weeks, which is where the timeline and word count goals come into play. At that point I will submit it to the intended publisher and move on... but not before I take a short break. As much as I'm all about putting in the long, hard yards this year, I'm also smart enough to realize burning out won't help me one little bit.
So that's where I'm at. In November I felt despondent and lost, wondering how I'd pull myself and get back into things this year when 2011 didn't yield that results I wished for. Now I'm re-energized and looking forward to what 2012 and my Unspecified Goals will bring.

1 comment:

Eleni Konstantine said...

It looks like taking a wee break is what you needed, Jess. Good luck with your multi-pronged approach. And Happy New Year!