Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Stuck

If you've followed this blog long enough, you would know by now that I have an issue with writing sex scenes. Not because of the actual sex, but because of the emotional complexities. I'm obsessive about getting my love scenes right, because in many ways, they are the most important scenes in the books.
These are the moments when the characters are stripped back (not literally... but okay, yes, that too) and vulnerable. The seconds in time where they can't hide what they truly feel.
To write this kind of scene, I need to be really deep into the character's POV so the words flow without too much trouble.
What I shouldn't do is stop writing and leave the scene either just before the sex scene is about to happen, or halfway through the sex scene. You think by the number of books/novellas I've written, that I would have realized this long before now.
But no. Earlier in the week, I got to nearly the halfway point of the novella I'm working on and was writing a scene that would lead into the first love scene. And that's where I stopped for the day. So of course, the following day when I went to continue on, I found it really hard to put myself back into that scene... and continued finding it hard for the next few days, only writing one or two hundred words here or there. Now I worry that the scene is going to read disjointedly, but somehow I have to find a way to push myself forward.
I have considered skipping it altogether for the time being and coming back to it, but I've never been able to do that. How can I write what comes after the sex scene if I don't know what happens during the sex scene?
So, maybe today, or possibly tomorrow... definitely sometime this week. Somehow I have to get myself back into that flow and let my characters have their moment so we can get on with the rest of the story!

2 comments:

Kylie Griffin said...

Ahh, Jess, I'm much like you - I find writing those scenes difficult too. If I want to keep the flow of the story moving I usually CAPSLOCK a phrase like KISS/SEX SCENE here, add a few details about what I want revealed or done in it then move on. I come back to them and usually spend a several hours writing each one just to get it right.
I don't think there's an easier way for me to do it - I think it's a matter of finding what works for you and stick to it.

Jess Anastasi said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Isn't it so frustrating? My problem is I'm OCD about writing my manuscripts in order. I literally can't go on until I've got the scene down and its right... which meant I did no writing for a week while I tried to work out how to fix it!