Thursday, November 24, 2011

Where Are All the Sci-Fi Buffs Hiding?

When I was first thinking about this post, I was actually going to talk about the fact that I'm only seven years behind the trend, but I finally got around to watching Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 version) and man am I addicted! I'm about three quarters of the way through the first season and am very happy at the prospect of having three more seasons of a new (or, not so new) sci-fi show to watch. And since I'm a total spoiler wench, I went and had a quick look on the Internet because I wanted to know what happens between Lee and Kara.
I was a bit disappointed to see they have a rocky relationship, marry other people and never really end up together. I was hoping for a series-long romance like Aeryn and Crichton in Farscape. Is that too much to ask? I know a lot of people say a relationship between two main characters can be the end of a show, which is why couples like Mulder and Scully, or Jack and Sam from Stargate never got together as such. However, I think it can be done well, it all depends on how the writers handle it. After all, what would Superman be without Lois Lane? Alright, he'd still be Superman, but his relationship with Lois is part of how we relate to him. Personally I'd love to see someone like Dean from Supernatural get a strong female character to play off against, and have them fall in love (and not have his woman's memory wiped so she doesn't even remember who he is anymore).
Anyway, this post wasn't meant to be about my favorite on-screen relationships, I did have a question in the post title that I wanted answered.
Where the heck have the sci-fi community gone?
Oh, I know they're around on the net, chatting on their forums, indulging in a strong online community. But haven't they noticed there are no new sci-fi shows coming up in the near future? Alright, we've got Terra Nova and that's great. But I'm talking flying-through-space-on-a-big-ass-ship sci-fi. Oh yeah, I've seen that Battlestar Galactica is getting another chapter with filming of a new spin-off series called Blood and Chrome. It appears that like the Stargate franchise, they're going to explore as many different directions with BSG as they can.
But I want something new. In the early 2000s we were spoiled for choice; Stargate: SG1 and later Stargate: Atlantis. Farscape, Andromeda (which i have never watched), Battlestar Galactica, Dark Angel, and Firefly to name the ones I am most familiar with. Now we get fantasy type shows like Supernatural lumped in with sc-fi and people think we're satisfied? As much as I love Supernatural, its not sci-fi and I'm ready to get addicted to something brand new and exciting.
So why the lack of science fiction on our TV screens?

3 comments:

Tez Miller said...

Sci-fi is expensive to produce.

My favourite sci-fi shows are Futurama and Red Dwarf :-)

Jess Anastasi said...

Well, yeah, I guess that makes sense. Who wants to put all that money into something that might flop? And LOL i forgot Futurama. Love that show! ...Never seen Red Dwarf though I've heard its good.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Agree about the lack of sci-fi. The cancellation of BSG and SG:U really annoyed me. And while I get they are expensive to make, I'd rather watch them than a reality show any day. And we Star Wars and Star Trek are in our pop culture how many years after they were made. Somehow, I don't think those reality shows will have the same longevity.