Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Timeless Desire Blog Tour Week Two - Guest Author J.S. Wayne


The second day of week two and we have with us multi-talented author J.S. Wayne talking about his novella and current projects...

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about who you are.

Hi, Jess! I’m J.S. Wayne, an author of erotic romance and paranormal horror. I’m currently in a program for procrastination and spork addiction, and love to write about love in all its forms and incarnations.



Please tell us a bit about your book.

“Ancient Magic” is a fantasy erotic romance story about a man who seems to have turned his back on his people to ride at the head of his homeland’s oppressors’ army and the woman who was intended to be his bride. When Varath leaves Jurav, Melody, the woman who was in line to be the High Priestess to the most beloved goddess of Jurav, thinks he is committing treason to his birthright, bride, and goddess. But all is not as it seems. . .

What was the motivation/idea behind this book/these characters?

I’ve always enjoyed multi-dimensional characters who are more than they appear to be, and writing Varath and Melody against the backdrop of a nation that has been brought ruthlessly to heel presented a great opportunity to explore hidden agendas and the difference between what is true in the heart and what appears to be true on the surface.

Did you enjoy writing this book, or did you have some tough times with it?

“Ancient Magic” was initially intended to be a vampire story under another name. I got about three thousand words in and wound up scrapping almost the entire concept in favor of something with a more fantasy feel. After five drafts, I finally came up with something that I really liked, and got rolling. 

When / Where / How do you write?

I write constantly, all the time. I’ve got a little corner of the dining room where my desk is set up, and if I’m not sitting there, I’m either eating, bathing, or sleeping!
How I write is something else again. I’m fairly dogged about starting a story and not skipping around within it. Dodging back and forth between works is another matter entirely. It’s not uncommon for me to be back and forth between three or four WIPs at any given time, and those are just the ones that are on my immediate to-do list!




Do you have some other qualification/interest/something else you do besides being a writer?

At the moment, I write as a career, which consumes my entire day. In the past, I’ve worked as a prison guard, a construction materials technician, a bartender, and a legion of other less notable jobs, so the short answer is, there isn’t a great deal I don’t have the know-how to do if I really have to.
But my heart’s in my writing, and when you love what you do, you don’t work a minute of your day!

What book/s are you reading at the moment? 

Currently, I’m in the middle of National Novel Writing Month, this blog tour, editing, and a host of other projects. I’ve got several books on my TBR for December 1st, when, if there’s any justice, I’ll be able to take some time off and unwind! But for now, I’m up to my ears in writing and simply don’t have time to read, much to my dismay.

Do you have any authors who were your inspiration/hero? 

Too many to name! But I’ll point out a couple of my favorites:
Dean R. Koontz, Jim Butcher, and John Sandford always shoot right to the top of my “must-have” list when they put out a new book.

What are you working on right now? 

Since this is November, I’m also participating in NaNoWriMo, trying to finish off the last installment of the “canonical” Angels series and a WIP entitled Once A Knight’s Enough. After those are done, I’m going to get back to work on a modern paranormal erotic horror story, The Hollow, featuring the Headless Horseman.
I’ve got two upcoming releases: “Dancing on Flames,” which is an m/m paranormal erotic romance featuring werewolves; and “Dead Means Dead,” for the forthcoming Lesbians Vs. Zombies line from Noble Romance.
And after I get all those plot bunnies skinned, I’ve got six more in various stages of development! Plus, I’m working on raising awareness for Writing Out Child Abuse, a coalition of writing professionals dedicated to providing care, comfort, aid and hope to survivors of child abuse worldwide.
So, nah…I don’t do anything much these days!

Do you have any other books out you'd like to mention?  

So far, my best-known work, and the stories that have garnered the most attention and praise, are my “Angels” series. These are “Angels Would Fall,” “Angel of the Morning,” and the full novel, Angels Cry. I hope that the readers will check these out, because I think they’re great stories that they’ll love!

Is there something I haven't asked that you'd like to tell us? 

I believe in love, magic, and magick. I hope, through reading my work, some of my readers will come to believe just how magical love in all its forms is, and that there are things which don’t make sense or follow “physical law,” but exist nonetheless.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for having me here, Jess! Before I go, I brought an excerpt from “Ancient Magic” for your reading pleasure. I hope y’all enjoy it!

Timeless Desire: Ancient Magic
Blurb:
More than two decades have passed since the Hodans invaded the peaceful kingdom of Jurav. In their zeal for conquest, they have mercilessly rent the Juravian national character asunder, starting with the temples of their gods.
Varath was raised from a young age by his uncle to one day assume his father's mantle— of the command warden of the Temple of Noradi, the most beloved goddess of the Juravian pantheon and the deity of heart, hearth, and the fires which burn in both.
Melody would have been the High Priestess to Noradi, and her own family has groomed her with equal care against the day when the Hodan hordes would be expelled and she could assume her rightful place as the most powerful figure in the entire nation . . . and as Varath's bride.
When Varath departed to serve in the Hodan army, Melody saw it as an unconscionable betrayal. Now Varath has returned to take his father's place as the sole guardian of a temple where no one dares enter, and he has made overtures to claim the other half of his bequest: Melody herself. But can Melody see past the deceptions and lies his rebellion has forced and learn to love the man who seems to have turned his back on his own people?
To see the book trailer, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me61FU-Xa-Q

Excerpt:
He hooked his thumbs into the broad battle belt at his waist and allowed his cloak to catch the wind; the silver chain which fastened the sable cloak tugged at his throat as the points of the heavy garment caught the night wind and flowed out behind him like ebony wings. He squared his shoulders, determined to look as confident as possible, despite the fact at this moment, he felt anything but.
Will she find me pleasing? And what of her? Does she know the tradition, and if she does, will she uphold it or shatter it?
He ground his teeth. Ludicrous, he scolded himself. This was hardly his first assignation with a woman. He had passed that milestone more than seven years previously. But experience offered no shield to ward his doubts at this moment, and he growled under his breath at his own dry mouth. His heart raced in his throat in uncertainty as to what to expect.
There! His battle-sharpened eyes picked out a flicker of movement in the trees beyond the moon-silvered, ruined courtyard. He stretched one hand casually toward his battle axe; at the first sign of anything amiss, the heavy weapon would be ready to his grasp. Aside from that slight motion, undoubtedly undetectable at the distance  separating him from the interloper, he stood as still and quiet as the stones  surrounding him.
Varath watched intently as she parted the delicate shadows of the sacred grove as if the moonlight had willed itself a pleasing form for his benefit. She drew closer, her feet making no sound on the ground beneath her as she came. Stark black and white resolved into myriad subtle nuances of silver, turquoise, amethyst, and onyx, crowned with a cascade of falling-star hair which rippled and flowed around her shoulders with every step.
She was a woman in the same sense that a raging thunderstorm was rain.
Oh, she had all the requisite curves and loveliness, of that there could be no denial. But she was much, much more than merely a soft collection of pleasing angles and lines  drawing his eye, his hand, his desire. She was a goddess, a dove amongst crows, a sensual virginal temptress. There was something eternal in the way she moved, an intangible hint  while she could touch and negotiate her way in this world, she was still somehow untainted by it. The dirt and filth  accruing to mere mortals and the grief and pain  layering their souls could find no purchase with her.
As Varath studied her approach with growing excitement, he wondered how this erotic apparition could possibly find any merit in him.
She stepped lightly over the tumbled ring of once-grand columns which had denoted the inner boundary of the temple's grounds. He noted  her feet were bare beneath her gown of deep purple, piped with silver embellishment at wrists, neckline, and waist. She wore one ring on each hand, and a silver bracelet of craftsmanship  no mere human could ever hope to duplicate encircled her delicate right wrist.
Varath's breath caught as she stopped  a mere hair's breadth beyond his arm's reach and offered him a shallow nod.
"Varath."
"Melody."
Melody favored him with a cool smile. "How have you been keeping?"
Varath grunted, taking refuge in his best, brusque military manner to conceal his desire to say something foolish . . . like, I love you. "I've been lonely. Can you even conceive of how stultifying it becomes to stand watch over this same ground night after night for as long as I have? If anything ever happened here, I would undoubtedly feel different." His tone lost some of its edge as she cut her eyes down toward the ground; he realized he had unknowingly hurt her with his abrupt, clipped speech.
"You—you've forgiven me?"


If you want to stalk me:
@jswayne702 on Twitter

10 comments:

Carol L. said...

For some reason the first comment I left wouldn't post so I'll try again.
I wanted to say J.S. that I was so pulled into the scene from your excerpt. I loved it. Along with your Angel series which I also love Ancient Magic will go on my TRL. Thanks so much for sharing with us today.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

J.S. Wayne said...

Hi, Carol!
I couldn't ask for a better review than that! :D Thanks for dropping a note! :)

cheralyn said...

Interesting excerpt, this book is on my TBR list! cheryllynne(at)rocketmail(dot)com

Gabrielle Lee said...

What a great cover! That just adds to my other reasons of why to get this book. Gabrielle. meingee@yahoo.com

booklover0226 said...

Hi, J.S.

The Angel series sounds really interesting. I'll add those books to my must have list.

Great excerpt; I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

J.S. Wayne said...

@ Cheralyn: Thanks! I hope you enjoy the rest of it as much as you did that, eh, teaser. :)

@ Gabrielle: I love Fiona Jayde's work, and she's never disappointed me. :)

@ Tracey: Thank you! I hope you enjoy them! :D

CelticAmazon said...

Really like the covers (fan fan) Enjoyed the excerpt.
Patricia
panthers.ravens@yahoo.com

shadow_kohler said...

Im a sucker for series! I love the sound of your Angel series! They sound so good! Great excerpt too! Thanks for sharing with us! ;)
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Kathryn Merkel said...

I'm eagerly awaiting more information on Hollow. The idea of an erotic take on the Headless Horseman is very tantalizing.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

J.S. Wayne said...

@ Patricia: All my stories are special to me, but I have to say that cover's earned a place at the top of my favorite covers!

@ Shadow: I hope you'll check them out. So far, I've gotten a lot of really great reviews on them, and I'm very proud that my "Angels" have moved so many people. :)

@ Kathryn: That story's going to be one of those "No, I will NOT stop gnawing your leg until you write me!" kind of projects. I can tell you this much, though: Although HH is a character, there's nothing erotic about him. That veers a little too close to the necrophilia line for my taste, even if he wasn't, er, uh, cranially challenged? :D I hope to have The Hollow done and submission ready by the end of the year. Keep following my blog, because that's where I post the latest news! :D