Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day One - Romance Writers Australia Conference 2011 "From Here to Eternity"

So here I am, having just faced down the first day of my first ever conference. I knew it was going to be fun, but oh my god, I couldn't have imagined just how great it actually would be, putting faces to people whose names I'd seen on the loops over the years. And spending the day surrounded by other like minded authors when usually I spend my days working alone was no small thing.
Sorry if I'm not sounding all that competent right now, but today literally blew my mind. And I still have three more days of people and information to take in!
Today I also got to sit in a Q&A session with Kristin Nelson. The things she and others had to say about the state of the publishing industry was very interesting. Anyway, I have a pitch appointment with her Saturday afternoon, so it was good to see her before that happens. I'm just hoping I can explain my Shadow Hunter book in a way that not only makes sense, but sounds interesting enough that she'll want to see it.
Tomorrow around lunch time I have another pitch appointment with Erika Tsang from Avon. I've decided to take a bit of a risk and pitch Atrophy, (yes, I have mentioned this in a previous blog post) though I know Avon have never published anything remotely sci-fi romance. If all else fails, I can offer the Shadow Hunter novel.
Another person I got to see today was Angela James from Carina Press and after hearing her I think I'd like to query them as well. But, I have a lot on my plate right now, so that's not something I'll be doing in the very near future.
So, if you can't tell, my thoughts are all over the place tonight after seeing so much and hearing so much in one day. I can't believe how fast it all went. But that's always the way with things that are so much fun. I know the entire weekend will be over and done with before I know it and I really feel going forward from here, my thinking about my work and career will be changed for the better.
Now, if only I can make sure I get to every conference every year from here on out. Bring on Gold Coast 2012!

No comments: