Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Query Limbo

I'm in query limbo and I can tell you its a very strange place to be.
Since the beginning of the year, Atrophy has been out with a certain publisher that shall remain nameless. The editor I've been dealing with has expressed marked interest in the manuscript and I've been waiting (and waiting and waiting) for a final answer. At the moment all I'm getting is radio (or Internet) silence. I know I'll hear any day now, but seriously, not knowing is hard!
In the meantime, about 3 months back I was involved in an online pitch session with an agent at an agency that is on my short list. She requested the full (much to my obvious excitement) so I sent it off and got back to waiting (and waiting and waiting).
And now query limbo is starting to get to me. In the past two weeks, two other agencies on my short list have either hired a new agent or come out and said they are specifically looking for sci-fi and romance. My first instinct is to rush out and send off a query, with a paragraph stating that Certain Editor from Certain Publishing House has the manuscript and seems very interested. Except I suppose they probably hear that all the time.
Instead, I'm wondering if I should wait to hear back from the certain nameless publisher with or without an offer and go from there. Obviously having a contract up my sleeve would make a world of difference when approaching these agents. So, I suppose I have my answer. I just need to keep waiting (and waiting and waiting).
Hmm. Maybe if I did as much writing as I did waiting, I'd be finished Marc and Charmeine's book by now. Speaking of which, I should get back to it.

No comments:

Incident Report IBC-726A-39

FORMAL INCIDENT REPORT SECTION ONE Incident Date:___ 25 th August 2436 __ Incident Time:___ 22 :30 hours approx ___ Incident...