Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The First Thing I Bought With My Royalties

Actually, I haven't bought anything yet. The money I've made from Sanctuary, Severance and Dead Reality is still sitting in my bank account. Don't get me wrong, it's not like we're talking a lot of money here. I'm not paying off a huge chunk of my mortgage, buying a new car or booking a holiday to Hawaii.
I had been thinking about getting a new computer, but my four year old Asus F3J is actually running pretty well still... touch wood! I wouldn't be surprised if it crashed now just to prove me wrong. So I hadn't quite been able to bring myself to decide on purchasing any type of new computer (I also get attached to things and won't give them up until its quite obvious their only possible function could be as a paper weight) and had been telling myself I didn't really need to spend the money on that.
But yesterday, I suddenly came to a decision on what I want to buy with some of the money, The First Thing I Will Buy With My Royalties.
Excited?
Well, I am and I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.
To go off on a slight tangent, I have a lot of books, as you might imagine an author would. And I mean a lot. They're everywhere. On my desk, next to my bed, near the TV, in the kitchen, stuffed into cupboards and pretty much littering every available surface. Some of them are even out in the garage (lack of storage space).
Due to some recent life rearranging, I now have an actual study (or, I like to call it my office) to work it. It's heaven! There's a desk and a couple of couches. Its a big room and a nice set up. But you see, there's an entire free wall that has nothing against it or near it. And this is where the money comes in. It would be the perfect place to put some bookshelves.
So I went shopping. Not actual shopping, because who has time to do that? I scoured the Internet and found some reasonably priced bookshelves that will match my desk. I measured and worked out I could fit 4 bookshelves in this space, as it is quite a long section of empty wall.
I'm going to go get them tomorrow and I've been having gleeful fantasies of alphabetizing and organizing my books according to genre. Sad, I know. But the idea of actually being able to find whichever book I'm looking for, instead of rummaging through piles, makes me giddy.
It might not be a Maserati or tropical holiday, but I couldn't be happier with the thought of spending money I made from my books on something to store my books in. Poetical, really.

4 comments:

Lynn Colt said...

Yay! I do love tall bookcases stuffed with books. Well, not when I have to move to a new place, of course. But they're so pretty!

Kez said...

Now that is a fine thing to do with your royalties!!!

Jess Anastasi said...

Thanks Lynn and Kez. Yes, I was all excited about it yesterday, but now the prospecting of unpacking the thirty or so boxes of books in the garage seems more daunting than anything!

Eleni Konstantine said...

Oh, niiiice, Jess. Congrats. What is better than a bookcase to house the books! Good choice.