Saturday, April 2, 2011

Submissions News & Promised Review

It's been a while since I posted anything, the last few weeks I've been letting my author interviews do my blog work for me. So I'm long overdue for an update of how things are going.
Last weekend, I participated in a three line pitch session on Savvy Authors with a *Certain Agent*, who shall remain nameless for now, because I like to hold my cards close to my chest. Except if you're a member of the Savvy Authors website, you'll know who I'm talking about. Anyhoo, there were over one hundred submissions and I wasn't going to do it, but I've actually sent this agent a query and follow-up letter in the months since last November, because I get the feeling Atrophy might be right up her alley. She's apparently really far behind on responding to queries, so at the last minute I thought "what the hell" and chucked something together for the pitch session. I ended up posting this:

When a ship lands on the prison planet, Erebus, for emergency repairs, Tannin Everette takes the opportunity to escape. But nothing is as it seems onboard the Imojenna. The captain is an ex-war hero who now lives for his personal vendetta against a race of shape-shifters who are infiltrating the government and military. The captain's sister, Zahli, is more temptation than Tannin can handle. Despite the many obstacles, he can't deny the consuming attraction between them. But with the shape-shifters pursuing them to the far reaches of the universe, their volatile relationship could put the entire crew of the Imojenna at risk.

Okay, so I know that's more than three lines, but pretty much no one stuck to that requirement. Some people were posting whole entire summaries, several paragraphs long, and it didn't stop Certain Agent from requesting them.
So obviously you may have guessed I wouldn't be telling you this story unless something exciting happened. Yes, I'm very happy to say that she requested I send the whole manuscript. So even though I've edited Atrophy I-don't-know-how-many-times, I spent last Saturday (until 1am) doing an emergency read-through, just to make sure there weren't any obviously stupid mistakes. I sent it first thing Sunday morning, and now I'm back to waiting.
To update you on the other submissions I'm waiting on: the publisher who has Atrophy said "email me in 6 weeks if you haven't heard from me." Yesterday made it five weeks, so if I haven't heard from the editor by Friday, I'll be sending a follow up email. The agent who has my young adult dystopian manuscript has listed on her website it can take up to 12 weeks to respond on requested material. Yesterday made six weeks since I'd sent that, so I've got another six to go before I can start bugging her.
And lastly, weeks ago I promised to tell you about the last review Dead Reality got. This was posted on The Romance Reviews a few weeks back.
A few quotes:
"Mix two sexy FBI Agents, a reality show called Lord Bachelor filmed in a posh resort in Florida with a murder mystery and you've got a super hot page-turner destined to keep you on the edge of your seat!"
"For a guy who professes to be in it only for the sex, the author takes great pains to make Bryce into a sexy alpha male with a sensitive side."
For the whole review, here's the link: http://www.theromancereviews.com/viewbooksreview.php?bookid=2050

No comments: