Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Guest Author Rachel Brimble



Today we have with us historical and romantic suspense author Rachel Brimble. I am in awe that she can successfully write across the two genres - no easy feat! I would love to be able to write a historical or two, but unfortunately don't have the voice for it. So, let's get to know Rachel a little better...

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about who you are.

I am a writer of all things romantic (not just suspense!). I love writing a variety of different books in the hope it keeps my writing fresh and my readers interested! I tend to write one historical, one contemporary. The historicals so far have been Victorian and the contemporaries vary from romantic suspense to romantic comedy. When I am not writing, I work part-time and look after my husband, two young daughters and Labrador, Max. Favorite things to do are reading, walking, knitting and socializing with friends and family.


Please tell us a bit about your book.


Today I am promoting my first book and first romantic suspense title, Searching For Sophie. Here’s the blurb & Buy Link: Harbouring the secret pain of giving up her daughter for adoption thirteen years ago, Melanie Royal has hidden herself in the quiet role of Head Librarian in Layley Hill. But then a crazed admirer rips her daughter from a loving home and Melanie is thrown into a race against time to save Sophie’s life. When Detective Inspector Kieran Joseph is put in charge of finding a missing thirteen year old girl, it evokes buried mistakes that he’d vowed never to repeat – and so he’ll be suspicious of everyone this time, including the girl’s sexy and achingly beautiful mother, Melanie Royal.




What was the motivation/idea behind this book/these characters?


This book was inspired by my husband – he’s adopted and one day asked me if I ever thought that his biological mother ever thinks of him. I was shocked that he would think otherwise! I was so moved by this that I felt compelled to write a story about a mother who’d given a baby up for adoption and then learns that teenage child is now in serious danger. What would she do? And voila, the idea for Sophie was born.


Did you enjoy writing this book, or did you have some tough times with it?


As this was my first book, there was none of the pressure of making it better than the one before or meeting a deadline, or worrying if it will ever get published. I wrote it and enjoyed writing it – and then the reality that I wanted to see it in print came upon me. That’s when I starting worrying, LOL! But luckily for me, Ally Robertson at The Wild Rose Press liked it enough to offer me a contract. What a celebration we had that day!


When / Where / How do you write?


I write every spare minute much to the detriment of the housework! I tend to write in my lovely outside office in the summer months and either at the kitchen table or on the settee with the dog beside me in the winter. As to how…my books are created from idea, to characters, to plot and off I go, writing a ‘dirty draft’ from start to finish and cleaning up the mess in draft two!


Do you have some other qualification/interest/something else you do besides being a writer?


Nope, apart from the skills being a full-time for eight years brings!


What book/s are you reading at the moment?


North & South by John Jakes & The Senator’s Wife by Sue Miller – loving them both and entirely in awe of both writers.


Do you have any authors who were your inspiration/hero?


Nora Roberts, Jodi Picoult & Marian Keyes all inspire me – all the time.


What are you working on right now?


A new romantic suspense novel set in the mountainous region of North Wales. It about a trio of friends (the hero, the heroine and the victim) who were annual summer vacation buddies. Ten years later, the third friend is found strangled and the hero and heroine come together to find the killer – and of course, fall in love…


Do you have any other books out you'd like to mention?


My latest contemporary romance is Getting It Right This Time published by Lyrical Press & my latest Victorian historical is The Arrival of Lily Curtis published by The Wild Rose Press.







Where to find me on the web:








Thanks for stopping by, Rachel, your outdoor office sounds divine and your books all sound really unique!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, searching For Sophie sounds fantastically emotional,Rachel. I'm liking the sound of your North Wales book too!

Lovely interview, ladies!