Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Guest Author Leanne Dyck

Hello everyone! Yes, I have been lazy and not posted anything between this post and my last guest author post. I am working very busily away at a new short novella. Ric and Madi's story was really starting to drag, so on some very good advice (thanks Jill) I decided to take a break from it. I'll be spending the next week or so working on a sci-fi fantasy kind of thing, not sure of the word count yet, but I think it'll land somewhere in the realms of 10,000 to 20,000 words.
Anyhow, today's guest author has combined her love of knitting (which I can totally respect. Now if only I could finish one of the three jumper I've started) and writing, to come up with a very original sounding plot.




Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about who you are.

Greetings Jess, from sunny Mayne Island, British Columbia, Canada.
Even though writing is a solitary sport, I’m a team player. I bat for the Crime Writers of Canada, kick for the Victoria Writers Society and am in goal for the Mayne Island Writers Group.

Please tell us a bit about your book.

How about a blurb…
Aspiring knitwear designer Gwen Bjarnson is stuck in Purgatory. To escape, she must re-examine her life, journey through her past and right a wrong. But which wrong?
Young and in love, she works to establish her career, except fate has different plans. One rash act and she loses everything. Never resting, always seeking, and yearning for what she can no longer have, Gwen faces the truth: if she remains, others are destined to die. How will she solve the mystery before it is too late?


What was the motivation/idea behind this book/these characters?

The Sweater Curse was influenced by my knitwear design career—this career began in 2002 and ended in 2010.
Additional motivation came from my desire to protest the stereotypes that abound regarding knitters.

Did you enjoy writing this book, or did you have some tough times with it?

Writing The Sweater Curse demanded that I sharpen my writing tool. Moreover, it is, at times, very dark in tone. To cope, I took breaks and wrote other things such my cozy mystery Maynely A Mystery.
That said, I’m very proud of The Sweater Curse and look forward to writing the sequel.

When / Where / How do you write?
When:
I keep business hours—my fingers are on the keyboard seven days a week.
Where:
My cats and I share a solid oak writing desk located in my living room. Looking up, and through feature windows, I observe an ever-changing panoramic view of my island home.
How:
I start with a blueprint, but make frequent revisions.
While my muse dances, I write. When she takes a break to rest her feet, I re-write.

Do you have some other qualification/interest/something else you do besides being a writer?

When not writing, I enjoy spending time with friends and family, volunteering and solitary pursuits such as knitting and amateur photography.

What book/s are you reading at the moment?

The Bishop’s Man by Canadian author Linden MacIntyre

Do you have any authors who were your inspiration/hero?

I’m dyslexic and for many years used this as reason why I would never be able to obtain my dream of becoming an author. How can I write, if I can’t even spell, I thought.

Thankfully, I had to stop singing that self-destructive song when I discovered authors who shared my disability such as Jules Vern and Agatha Christie.

What are you working on right now?

Turning is (very) loosely based on my experiences in the youth group Katimavik.
Blurb:
Struggling with dyslexia and raised by overprotective parents, Lyndi longs for a boyfriend, an adventure, a life.
She enlists in a youth group hoping to fulfill her dreams.

Do you have any other books out you'd like to mention?

Once upon a time, in a world far, far away, erotic author Grace Meadows wrote Untouched Places and Animal. Both books are available from Decadent Publishing. Animal is a free read.

Is there something I haven't asked that you'd like to tell us?

Currently, I’m running a short story contest.
Write a short story (500 words or less) regarding your favourite sweater and you could win a copy of The Sweater Curse. For details, please visit http://sweatercursed.blogspot.com/


Sounds like a great comp, I only wish I could write short stories, but alas, I already know I'm hopeless at them. Thanks so much for coming, Leanne, this has been a wonderful and interesting interview.



Buy Links:

Decadent Publishing: http://www.decadentpublishing.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=The+Sweater+Curse&osCsid=t3kaqh806hb9bgc1kg566kn80
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sweater-Curse-ebook/dp/B004IPPJQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AZC9TZ4UC9CFC&s=merchant-items&qid=1295645546&sr=1-1
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/36891

Website: www.oknitting.com
Blog: http://sweatercursed.blogspot.com

Excerpt:

This isn't Heaven. It isn't Hell. And I'm not alive.

Picture this: a bus stop, tons of people packed into the same small space all waiting to continue their journey. Many buses stop here. Some passengers get off, others get on. Young children with sickly white complexions huddle together in the shelter. Teenagers with rope burns around their necks get off the bus. Old men with bullet holes climb on.

Throughout this confusion, the only constant is me. I remain alone.

Why?

I don't know, but I must find the reason. I must examine my life to discover the momentary lapse. The wrong I've committed. The task I've neglected. It's my only means of escape.


Quotes from reviews:

Laurie Buchanan: Stitch by colorful stitch, Leanne Dyck knits a tale of intrigue with The Sweater Curse.

Mystery author, Lou Allin: Leanne Dyck has crafted a tale as exotic and existential as Danish author Isak Dinesen's...This book defies genre definitions as it finds its unique place on the fiction shelves. Here's hoping Leanne Dyck returns many times to the intriguing roots of her family's past.

Deborah Warner, reviewer for By the Book: Go out and pick this one up, you'll find yourself immersed as well.

1 comment:

The Sweater Curse said...

Thank you, Jess. It was a pleasure visiting you.