Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guest Author Veronica Lynch

Today we have with us another guest author, Veronica Lynch, who writes shorter romantic suspense. I don't have anything else I need to say beforehand, so let's get straight to it!


Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about who you are.
Currently I am published in short length romance fiction--and quite content with that. I write under another author name, longer lengths, grittier hard-core romantic suspense. Writing as Veronica showed me I am capable of writing a good story in less than 25,000 words. I never thought I'd be able to do that.

Please tell us a bit about your book.
The List is part of the Class of '85 series out of the Wild Rose Press. It is the story of Fiona Thorpe, the girl voted most likely to explode, who returns to her 25th high school reunion, intent on exacting retribution against those who bullied and abused her during her school years. The title is self-explanatory.

What was the motivation/idea behind this book/these characters?
I had an interest in the effects of bullying, immediate and long term. The idea of this woman, probably 1/3 her former size with a successful career, returning to confront high school bullies and thumbing her nose at them was enormously appealing to me. On the other side of the coin, the former bully turned Paladin who now defends the helpless was equally appealing.

Did you enjoy writing this book, or did you have some tough times with it?
I had a lot of fun with it and it surprisingly went very fast. Much faster than any other story.

When / Where / How do you write?
I am retired so I have the luxury of being able to write any time, any where—when I'm not providing child care for two of my grandchildren. After 40+ years of marriage if the husb can't fend for himself, I've not done my job.

Do you have some other qualification/interest/something else you do besides being a writer?
I am a nurse by first profession so occasionally I pop into a local law practice and review medical records for them, write demand for settlement letters to insurance carriers or advise on medical malpractice cases. I also am a crafter. I make tote bags and infant items, diaper bags, costumes for my grand-daughters. Eventually I hope to branch out into doll clothes, but those dolls are gonna have to be awful big.

What book/s are you reading at the moment?
JR Ward's Crave. Love it.

Do you have any authors who were your inspiration/hero?
John R. Maxim; David Wiltse; Nora Roberts; Robert B. Parker; Janet Evanovich; William Diehl; Eileen Dreyer.

What are you working on right now?
I'm working on a series of romantic novellas some with elements of suspense for Decadent Publishing, based on a poem by Henry vanDyke titled Those Who Love. It's set on the shores of Lake Ontario in western New York State. The characters are affiliated with the criminal justice system in some capacity.

Do you have any other books out you'd like to mention?
Thanks!! Those Who Wait, available now from www.DecadentPublishing.com; Embraceable You [under my alternate author name Kat Henry Doran] available March 16, 2011 at http://www.thewildrosepress.com/

Is there something I haven't asked that you'd like to tell us?
I'd like to speak about movies that have had a profound effect on my life, personal and professional:
Romero
The Stoning of Soraya M
The Official Story
Cautiva
The Accused
The Killing Fields
Steel Magnolias
Thanks so much for joining us, Veronica!

EXCERPT:
Frustrated with the holdup, Fee glanced around the room, hoping to see Dru the minute she entered the ballroom. A hand on her arm claimed her attention. “Here comes someone you should meet.”
“Who?”
“Last year's Eastman Award winner,” Rafe said, “and a helluva nice guy.”
“Where?”
“There, coming toward us.”
One nano-second later, all thoughts of revenge evaporated like steam out of a boiling kettle.
Thick gold hair flecked with gray grazed the collar of his jacket. His features were weathered—as if he'd already lived ten times over. Broad through the shoulders and chest, and narrow at the waist and hips, he possessed the long legs of a broken-field runner. Moving across the parquet floor as if born to a runway, he looked confident and at ease with himself. Without disrupting that graceful, fluid motion, he undid his tie, then shrugged out of his suit jacket.
She'd almost given up on finding a man like this.
This one had the Look.


10 comments:

Gracen Miller said...

Howdy, Veronica! I wish you all the best of success with your books.

I'm a paralegal and often we would subpoena medical experts to testify at trial. Have you ever done that?

Enjoyed the interview and getting to know you.

Huggles,
Gracen

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

The List sounds like a great read. It's something everyone can relate to. I enjoyed the excerpt, too. All the best!

Hales said...

Hey Veronica,

That was great to read. I'll look for both of these reads from you. Hi Jess, nice comin by your site for the first time.

The Sweater Curse said...

Interesting plot.
I really like what you wrote about your husband--after 40+ years...you haven't none your job. You gotta know I'll be bringing to the attention of my husband of almost 20 yrs. : )

Redameter said...

Funny that this should come up now, I just wrote a short story for teens on bullying over at Smashwords.com. Tina and the Bullies.

I know how your character feels, I was pretty much buillied when I was in school, but back then they didn't call it anything. They just thought you ought to know how to get along with your peers. I didn't.

Great concept. Good luck with your writing.

Love and blessings
Rita

Kathy said...

Gracen, Kathleen Ann, Hales, Rita and Sweater Cursed,
today is not my day!!
Blogger and Google have decided not to allow me to respond to your generous comments.
Thank you all. We shall endeavor!
Veronica

Jess Anastasi said...

Hey everyone!
Thanks for all coming! This has been a great interview and Veroinca's books sounds fab. It does raise a lot of interesting issues. I think we've all been bullied at one time or another, so we can all relate.

Caroline Clemmons said...

How nice to read about you, Veronica. Jess is also new to me, so I met two authors at one blog.

Rachel Brimble said...

Great interview, Veronica/Kat (and another name, I believe!) - really enjoyed it!

And by the way, you are nowhere near RETIRED - phew!!

Best
Rachel x
www.rachelbrimble.com

Margo Hoornstra said...

Veronica,

Got tired just reading about all that you do. Then I read the excerpt and fell in love.

Go figure!

Take care and best of luck in all you do, dear.

Margo