Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year Assualt on Agents

I spent almost all day yesterday sending query letters to agents. Some were follow up ones since I hadn't heard back from queries sent out last October, but most were new contacts. Once again, as I was scouring the Internet for information on each agent I queried, I saw statements of "sci-fi is hard to sell at the moment." I try not to let it dishearten me, but realize for the simple fact of genre, I might be making things harder on myself.
And of course, there's always that one agent who is quick off the mark, so I had a rejection waiting for me when I checked my email this morning. I still haven't heard back from some of the agents at the top of my list (hence the follow up queries) so I hold high hopes that one of them will read Atrophy and love it.
In other news, I worked for 12 hours straight on Sunday doing the revisions I'd been sent by my editor for Dead Reality. I got extra advice about the technical FBI stuff and was recommended I join a group for writers where they can get their questions answered by actual people in the field - very exciting stuff! So I'm just waiting for my membership to come through. It's going to be a great resource and I'll have the confidence that my romantic suspense are as factually correct as possible.
Speaking of, I should get back to working on Nick and Madi's story, its been 3 days since I wrote anything! Its good to have something to do now that I'm back into the waiting-on-agents game.

3 comments:

Eleni Konstantine said...

Good luck with the agent hunting Jess. I love your get up and go attitude and I'm sure you will find the right agent soon.

Enjoy your new group.

Jess Anastasi said...

Thanks, Eleni!
I certainly hope I find the right agent soon as well!

Suzanne said...

Jess, great news about the positive agent request. Also, very disheartening re the hard sell for sci fi / futuristic romance as that's what I write also. Still, gotta write what you love or it doesnt shine - thats what I keep telling myself. Good luck.