Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Guest Author - Marie-Nicole Ryan

Hello there everyone!
Today kicks off the first in a series of Author Interviews I'll be doing in the coming months. Every Wednesday I'll be featuring an author, and the first cab off the rank is Marie-Nicole Ryan, who writes spicy romantic suspense.


Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about who you are.
I’m Marie-Nicole Ryan and I write romantic suspense—most of the time. I lived in Nashville, TN, for several decades, but have recently moved back to my hometown in Western Kentucky to be closer to my mom.

Please tell us a bit about your book.
LOVE ME IF YOU CAN is a spicy romantic suspense set in Nashville. At the heart of the story is the romance between the head of a family-owned PI agency and Tess O’Malley, an ambitious and driven homicide detective. Their romance gets off to a good start, but Tess’ ambitions and no desire for a family interfere with Scott’s idea of happily ever after. A serial killer is targeting teen boys in Nashville and the governor’s grandson is a victim of this very twisted killer. When another teen goes missing, Tess will do anything, even placing herself in danger to find the killer…and further her career.

What was the motivation/idea behind this book/these characters?
I originally envisioned this book as the first of six, each featuring a member of a family of blended siblings who run a Nashville PI agency. In addition to the romantic suspense element, there is a question that runs through all six of the books, but isn’t answered until the last.
The idea came from watching Extreme Make-over: Home Edition. There was a family of blended siblings. Their parents were dead and the older two dropped out of school to support and care for the others.
I found the idea of the two older ones giving up their dreams intriguing. Scott, the hero, was in law school when his father and stepmother were killed by a drunk driver. He left school to run his father’s PI agency and support his family of five siblings. While this story starts ten years after the parents’ deaths and the major family struggles are behind them, the family plays an huge role the story.

Did you enjoy writing this book, or did you have some tough times with it?
I had a very difficult time with this book. Not the first draft, but it was later rewritten at least four times for four editors at two different publishers.

When / Where / How do you write?
Morning/recliner/netbook. LOL Actually after spending a year decluttering, renovating, trying to sell my house in Nashville and then moving to Western Kentucky over the last year, I’m just beginning to get back in the groove.

Do you have some other qualification/interest/something else you do besides being a writer?
I’m a retired registered nurse, and I also have a degree in interior design. I never worked in the field of design, but I love HGTV. I also spend some time chauffeuring my elderly mother wherever she wants or needs to go since she can no longer see well enough to drive. The rest of my free time is spent catering to a very spoiled, but darling, Shetland Sheepdog.

What book/s are you reading at the moment?
LONESTAR SANCTURY by Colleen Coble. I’m a sucker for contemporary westerns, even one that is an inspirational which is done with a very light hand. There’s a definite suspense element as well.

Do you have any authors who were your inspiration/hero?
Carole Buck who wrote for Silhouette Desire in the 90s and early 2000s. I met her online in a La Femme Nikita fan forum. She encouraged me to join RWA and actually gave me a detailed—and very redlined—critique of my first writing effort. I’ll be grateful to her, forever.

What are you working on right now?
I’m working on a romantic suspense set in the Finger Lakes area of Upstate New York. It’s an area I’ve visited numerous times and love.

Do you have any other books out you'd like to mention?
From Samhain Publishing I have an erotic western historical, SEDUCING THE SHERIFF, and several romantic suspense novels, which include HOLDING HER OWN, ONE TOO MANY, LOVE ON THE RUN, and TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. I also have two rights-returned romantic suspense novels which are now self-published and available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, THE MAN FOR THE JOB and SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS.

Is there something I haven't asked that you'd like to tell us?
SEDUCING THE SHERIFF was nominated for a 2010 CAPA in the erotic historical category at The Romance Studio.

LINKS:
LOVE ME IF YOU CAN
BLURB:
Nashville sizzles in the summer. No wonder Tess and Scott combust.

Nashville Homicide Detective Tess O’Malley has a lot to prove. She comes from a long line of police officers, including her father and older brothers. First she and her partner are taken off a high profile case and sidelined with a cold case instead. After reviewing the files, she’s certain her cold case is connected to the current one, and she sets out to prove it. Too bad it means locking horns with a handsome PI who could win her heart and derail her career.

PI Scott Holt is all business when it comes to running his family’s PI firm. When the lovely Detective O’Malley comes to question him about his possible involvement in her cold case, he has everything but business on his mind. Like locking lips with the fiery redhead.

EXCERPT:
Scott parked his car in the lot and glanced at his watch. His first appointment wasn’t for another twenty minutes. Just enough time to duck into the Coffee Shack for his morning jolt of java. Great. Only one customer ahead of him.
The one was a spectacular redhead with a killer body, wearing a light tan jacket and a brown skirt just short enough to show off a great set of wheels. Not that he paid any attention to a woman’s body.
Now, the mind… Who was he fooling?
“Arabian Mocha Sanani. Double grande, skim—no, whole—no, skim.” Her voice was low and pleasant, but did she have to waffle over what kind of milk?
Her head bobbed from side to side while she considered. “No, skim, definitely skim.”
Enough already. “Could you just make up your mind? Some of us have to go to work.”
She whirled and glared. Her wide gray eyes, with flecks of darker gray, flashed with anger. “I just did.” She turned back to the clerk. “Definitely whole.”
There was something familiar about her. Maybe they’d met before? Gone to school together? He glanced at his watch and started tapping his foot.
“Sometime this century, Red.”
This time she whipped around and flashed a badge. “One more word and I’ll arrest you for being a public nuisance.”
A Metro Nashville gold shield. Yeah, one of the O’Malleys. “You’ll arrest me?” Unable to resist, he grinned. “How about I make a citizen’s arrest because you’re a—”
Her fair cheeks flushed an angry red as she interrupted him, “Careful, you are so close to—”
So she had the typical redhead’s temper. Aw hell, she was too cute to alienate. Women love it when a man admits he’s wrong. “All right. I’m a nuisance—one Scott Holt. I admit it. Why don’t you let me buy your coffee, and then maybe you’ll let me apologize over dinner?”
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
A flicker of something sparked, then died in her gaze. “Hmph. Is that your idea of a smooth come-on?”
He tried a smile. Maybe his charm alone would soften her attitude. “It’s the best I can do on short notice.”
Her hardened expression softened. Her lips twitched. “I’ll pass.”
“Now here I thought you were softening toward me. You know you almost smiled. I’m very observant.”
She glanced at her watch. A self-satisfied smile lifted the corners of her luscious mouth. “Thought you had to get to work?”
“Won’t hurt. I’m the boss.”
“Well, I’m not the boss, and I do have to get to work.”
Without another word, she paid for her java, took a sip, and then sailed by him. His chin dropped.
She left the store and headed down Fifth. He smiled. Nice hitch in her get-along. Oh, yeah.
“Hey, buddy,” the barista interrupted Scott’s train of thought. “You gonna order or stare at the scenery.”
Scott laughed. The redhead had him dazzled all right.
And dazzled was rare.

BUY LINKS:
LOVE ME IF YOU CAN, The Wild Rose Press
...Marie-Nicole, thanks for coming and giving us an honest and interesting interview!

11 comments:

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Thanks for doing this, Jess. I was surprised to see the interview already up a day early. Well, it's a day early in the States, but not in Australia!

Maria said...

Great interview Jess and Marie!

I have a question for Marie- are you still going to do more books in the "Love Me If You Can" world?

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Thanks, Maria. As for more books in the LMIYC world I planned five more, but I'm not sure I will now. Actually the second book is 2/3 finished, but for reasons I don't want to go into in a public forum, I may not complete it in the near future.

Writer and Cat said...

Hi Marie and Jess! Just dropping by to see Marie's interview! We all know Marie from when she lived in Nashville, so recently, but nwo she's gone *sniff*

Harlie Reader said...

Great interview and blurb. This book sounds like alot of fun. The dialogue between them already crackles.

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Jody, I miss you, too, and all the MCRW gals.

Harlie, thanks so much for dropping by.

Annie Solomon said...

Great interview--I love that Marie-Nicole Ryan! Her books are great and this one is, too.

I must ask, because I loved the expression--Jess: what is a "cab off the rank"? I know it's Australian for something--and I understand the meaning--but I'm dying to know what exactly it refers to.

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Annie, that's high praise coming from you. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

Jess Anastasi said...

Me and my bloody Aussie slang! LOL
I've been trying to weed it out of my speech because obviously I deal with a lot of people from America and other countries now.
I think the saying 'first cab off the rank' might actually originate from Asutralia's British roots. The saying obviously means someone is going first. But literal meaning is "cab," being another word for Taxi, and "the rank" being where you go to catch a taxi. So it pretty much comes from the first taxi leaving leaving the taxirank. Though, why its become an everyday kind of phrase, I have no idea!

Ursula Grey said...

Wondered about the "cab off the rank" too;-) Nice interview, Marie-Nicole!

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Thanks for the explanation, Jess.

Ursula, thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.