Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Guest Author - Dawn Brown

Welcome to week two of my guest authors. Today we have with us romantic suspense author Dawn Brown, who sometimes likes to add a bit of a paranormal twist to her work.
Just before we get into the interview, I have to tell you that I woke up this morning to the news I'd gotten my first ever review. It was over at Manic Readers, for Dead Reality, and its fantastic! Pop over and have a look if you want, but I will be blogging all about it later in the week.
Now, onward to our guest!

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about who you are.

Thanks for having me. I’m Dawn Brown from Ontario, Canada, where I live with my husband and son. I write romantic mysteries, sometimes with a paranormal twist.

Please tell us a bit about your book.

After a devastating personal tragedy, history professor Hillary Bennett seeks refuge in the quaint Scottish village of Culcraig, hoping to research a legend and salvage her career. Instead, she finds her hostess dead, and her hopes for the future pinned to the woman’s black sheep heir.

The last thing Caid Douglas needs is a decrepit manor house to remind him of his estranged family, but he does need the money selling the house would bring to pay off his debts. In desperation he offers to honor his great aunt’s arrangement with Hillary—if she pays him to stay at Glendon House and view his ancestor’s journals, he’ll have the money to fix up the family mausoleum and sell it.

But an ancient curse hovers over the village, and the secret to lifting it lies in the journals. Will Caid and Hillary realize what they have and uncover the truth before a twisted killer silences them forever?


What was the motivation/idea behind this book/these characters?

I’ve always really enjoyed reading gothic mystery romance novels from the 70’s and 80’s, like the ones written by Phyllis A. Whitney and Barbara Michaels, and thought it would be fun to write one. I started off with the idea of a town haunted by a past act of mob violence and went from there.

Did you enjoy writing this book, or did you have some tough times with it?

I think every book has its moments. Sometimes, I can sit down and the flow is fast and I feel like I could write the whole thing in one sitting if I didn’t have to eat or sleep. Then the very next day I can struggle carving out a single decent paragraph.

When / Where / How do you write?

I write every day while my son is in school. I have an office in the attic which is freezing in the winter and unbearably hot in the summer, but it’s a wonderful place to close the door on the real world and escape into my own.

I’m not a plotter. I just sit down and write. Though, before I start a new story, I like to have a good idea of who my characters are and what their goals, motivations and conflicts are. Since they’re the ones telling the story, it’s important to me to really know who they are and what they want.

Do you have some other qualification/interest/something else you do besides being a writer?

Between writing and spending time with family and friends, I don’t have a lot spare time. But when I do, I usually read or paint badly.

What book/s are you reading at the moment?

HeartSick by Chelsea Cain.

Do you have any authors who were your inspiration/hero?

I don’t know if there is a single writer I would consider my hero, but I really admire authors who consistently turn out good stories with interesting characters. Some of my favorites are Minette Walters, Stephen King, Nora Roberts and Amanda Stevens.

What are you working on right now?

I’m working on a book called The Devil’s Eye. It’s about a woman who travels to Wales to meet the family that she never knew she had, and finds herself embroiled in a series of strange disappearances. Her only ally his her family’s groundskeeper, but he too has secrets of his own.

Do you have any other books out you'd like to mention?

I have another book, Living Lies, available from Samhain Publishing. Twelve years after her sister’s disappearance, Haley Carling spends her days trying to hold what’s left of her family together, running her late father’s shop and caring for her alcoholic mother. Then her sister’s remains are uncovered in the basement of their old home, and fingers start pointing. At the Carlings.

Dean Lawson, long the prime suspect in the Carling girl’s disappearance, is sure he’s got evidence proving who the killer is. He’s determined to clear his name, and he won’t let anything stand in his way. Not even his lingering attraction to Haley.

Haley is just as determined to protect her family from the former town bad boy’s accusations. But now someone is stalking her, and Haley realizes Dean’s the only one she can trust.

With a killer closing in, Dean wonders if he’s made the biggest mistake of his life…a mistake that could cost Haley her life.




Thanks so much for being with us!

Website: dawnbrown.org
Blog: dawnbrown.org/blog

The Curse of Culcraig

Buy Link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_21?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+curse+of+culcraig&sprefix=the+curse+of+culcraig

Excerpt:

Someone was in the house with them…

“You know,” Hillary said, keeping her voice low. “This house is huge. We could check each room individually, but who’s to say that whoever’s here won’t just keep moving around as we search, eventually working their way into a room we’ve already checked? We’ll never be one hundred per cent sure we’re alone.”

“Are you suggesting we separate?”

Her grip on his hand tightened. Did she even realize she’d done that?

“It would probably make more sense to split up. If we worked from opposite ends and met in the middle, it would reduce the chance of an intruder slipping away. But as I said, this place is huge and we’re only two people, the odds of our mystery person eluding us are still pretty good. Not to mention the confusion.”

“Confusion?” Caid tried to suppress his grin.

“Yes. If we separated, we could easily wind up tracking each other. At least together, if we hear or see anything out of the ordinary, we know that it has to be someone else.”

“What an astounding rationalization.”

She frowned at him in obvious consternation. “I think I made some very good points.”
He smiled. “Aye, you did. I’m sure you’ve convinced yerself quite nicely. Did you bring the subject up simply because you were concerned that I might think you liked holding my hand?”

He couldn’t stop his smile from widening, especially when she struggled to untangle her fingers from his, but as they entered the kitchen, he tightened his grip.

“Dinnae be like that. I’m just having a wee bit of fun with you.”

She ceased struggling as her delicately shaped brows drew together in disbelief. “That wasn’t here earlier.”

“What?” He turned to the direction she pointed.

A brass fireplace poker lay dead center on the battered harvest table. On the floor, a series of watery footprints stretched between the back door to the table.

Christ’s sakes. Hillary hadn’t just been frightened alone in an old house, there had been someone else here.

But who? And why?

3 comments:

Ursula Grey said...

Very interesting interview, Dawn. Did you visit Scotland and/or Wales to do any research? I've always loved gothic romance ~ your book sounds intriguing!

Dawn said...

Thanks Ursula! I travelled to Scotland about 15 years ago to visit family, and that certainly helped with my research. I would love to go Wales to research my WIP, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. ;-)

Ursula Grey said...

It's sure a good reason to take a vacation;-) ~ that's my plan. Wonder where my next novel will take place;-)?