Friday, December 24, 2010

Self Review

Now that my book is up on places like Amazon and Goodreads, people have been telling me I need to go put up some reviews to start the ball rolling. And I keep thinking "yeah, I'll go do that." But then I find something else to do.
I can't bring myself to do it, because I have no idea what to say about it. I'm suspect about my reviewing abilities when I'm reviewing other people's books, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to do my own. It'd be easy to say "I love this book, its great! You should too." But obviously not everyone's going to love it and I probably need to be more diplomatic than that.
I've been thinking about asking my crit partners/friends to go do some for me instead, seems to be the easier option and is less likely to give me a headache.
Since its Christmas eve, I'm not rushing to do anything now. I want to get a couple of thousand words written today. So I'll consider my position on self-reviews in another couple of days.

2 comments:

Tez Miller said...

I do not approve of self-reviews or self-rating. By all means, tell everyone who's read it to review it, but don't review your own story - that's unprofessional.

Jess Anastasi said...

Thanks, Tez, a voice for the other argument! I haven't done any and don't plan to. I totally get what you mean and just feel there's something wrong with doing them myself. I'd rather wait until someone reads it and likes it enough to go put one up for me.