Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sci-Fi Romance and the Erotic Appeal

I've joined Love Romance Cafe, a yahoo group for romance readers and authors. Today they're having a free-for-all where you can post excerpts from your books. I've been keeping an eye on the genres coming through, unfortunately I don't have time to read them all. But, one thing I have noticed is that there are quite a few erotic sci-fi romances being posted.
So, it makes me wonder, what is it about sci-fi that also attracts an erotic element? I'm not an erotic author, I never will be and won't even try. I have enough trouble writing the one or two love scenes I might include in my books, without trying to do an entire book's worth.
In the last few years, erotic authors tend to lead the trends, particularly when it comes to e-books. So, does the surge of erotic sci-fi romances mean that the popularity of more mainstream sci-fi romances will follow?
Being a sci-fi romance author, I obviously hope so. But, my hope also comes from being a reader. My favorite sci-fi romance author is Linnea Sinclair. Her books are quite brilliant, there's no other way to put it, and I've loved every single one I've read.
Plus, I devoured Sherrilyn Kenyon's sci-fi series and wished there were more!
There is something totally unique about a good sci-fi romance. Like paranormal, the 'verses can be varied and filled with just about anything an author can imagine. The possibilities are endless, the restrictions minimal. I think that's what I love so much about the genre.
Now, if only I could find an agent to take Atrophy!

1 comment:

Eleni Konstantine said...

Good luck with the new group Jess.