Friday, December 31, 2010

End of Year Wrap Up

New Year's Eve is upon us again. I know most of us will say this, and I have said it many times myself, but I really can't believe how fast this year flew by. I can clearly remember last New Year ticking over and telling myself that this year would be the year. I would get published and move onto the next phase of my career. It might not have happened exactly how I'd planned - I always thought I'd end up with an agent and had never considered e-book publishing as an option simply because I didn't know enough about it. But as is the way of life, I learnt a lot this past twelve months and I can say with all certainty that, at least career-wise, I am no longer the same person. I accomplished many things this year that I'd always wanted to do and getting published was only one of them.
So here we are on the verge of another New Year. Once again, I am facing the change in year with determination and a number of goals. I plan for 2011 to be the year I get an agent. I've had another crit partner/friend/RWAus member read Atrophy (possibly to be re-titled. I haven't made up my mind yet. More than one person has told me it might be too intellectual for a romance novel title) and she, like others who've read it, was very excited about it. I feel like Atrophy does have something that my other manuscripts don't, some special spark that has really raised the bar for me personally. So, I have to believe there is an agent out there somewhere who will read it and see what I, and other's who've read it, feel when discovering this story.
Aside from getting an agent and publishing contract for Atrophy, I have a set plan of at least five books I want to write for Noble, some which will fit into the Sanctuary series, and some that are stand-alone romantic suspense. I have a 'project planner' whiteboard up on the wall above my computer and its all set to see me through the first few months of the new year.
And what better way to kick off the new year than with a book release? Dead Reality will be coming out on the 10th of January and hopefully I'll get a release date for Severance in the next couple of weeks.
In sales news, I checked on Amazon this morning to see Sanctuary is about 31,000 on their best-sellers list. This might seem like a ridiculous number, but since last week it was up around the 106,000 mark, I'm happy that I'm going up the list, not down. And I suppose that's what it comes down to now. Releasing a book and seeing how high up the best-sellers list it goes before its popularity wanes or my next book comes out. I'm not interested because I want to be a number one best-selling author over night (although, I would like to be a best-selling author at some point in the future) but because it means people are actually buying my book. And I wonder what they might be thinking about it. Did they love it and are excited about Severance coming out? Did they only think it was so-so. Or did they think angels and demons in spaceships was the most stupid idea they'd ever read?
I haven't gotten any 'fan mail' yet, so I guess I'll just have to use my imagination for now.
And speaking of now, I should be off writing Nick and Madi's book.
Oh, but one last thing, I've got an interview up on the Moonlight, Lace and Mayhem blog today. Go check it out!
I hope 2011 brings you all great things. Happy and safe New Year to you all, and I'll catch you on the flip side.

1 comment:

Kez said...

2010 really was your year Jess!!! Here's wishing for the agent of your dreams early in 2011 :)