Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rolling in Rejections

That's right, I might as well be rolling in rejections! This week didn't pan out so well for me in query-land. I didn't get any requests for more material and received at least one form rejection almost everyday this week. But it seems the constant deluge of rejections have thickened my skin. Or maybe its the knowledge that my first book will be coming out in a couple of weeks. Either way, my reaction at getting a rejection this time around has been like water off a duck's back. In the past, though I always strove to remain detached and told myself the rejection didn't matter, I still had a moment of deep disappointment. And honestly, sometimes it would put me in a mood for a couple of days.
But this time around, trying to get an agent doesn't feel like the be-all and end-all of my whole life, it just seems like the next step in my career. So the rejections haven't worried me, I've just sent off a couple more query letters. And I suppose it doesn't hurt that I still haven't heard back from many of the agents in my top-ten. Maybe if I get rejected by all of them, I won't be feeling so Zen about things.
In the meantime, I've got to get on with writing Alastor's story, currently titled Severance. I'm almost halfway through and would like to have it just about finished in a couple of weeks when Sanctuary comes out, so I can send it to Noble and see about getting the sequel out quickly. But in order to do that, obviously I need to get some words down on the page, not on my blog!

No comments: