Saturday, October 30, 2010

Where Does It Fit?

I've had a busy week this week, so obviously haven't had time to do any posting. I've been hitting the queries hard in the last couple of weeks for my sci-fi romance, Atrophy. I sent out about ten query letters, but then when I heard back from just over half, I sent out another half a dozen, then repeated the process when that number got down to half again.
I've gotten about as many requests for more material as rejections, so I think my batting average is looking pretty good. Most of the agents who asked to see more took the time to explain why they had then decided to reject me. A couple gave me that old 'I just didn't love it' spiel, but did say nice things about how great the premise is and that my characters are very strong, etc. Earlier in the week, though, one agent told me it wasn't sci-fi enough. That was alright. I never claimed to be a hardcore sci-fi writer. I don't think I'm smart enough for that and I think at heart I'll always be a romance author. But then yesterday, I got another rejection from a different agent who'd requested to read more and she said that it was a bit too heavy on the science-side.
Okay. Now I'm confused. Well, maybe not that confused. I guess it really does come down to an agent's personal taste. Does the results of my querying so far mean I need an agent who likes a happy medium of science and romance? But how the heck do I find that agent? The simple answer is to keep querying. I suppose if I run out of agents, I could always try going direct to the publishing houses as a last resort.
More and more, I look at books on the shelves at bookstores, particularly debut authors, and am amazed that they managed to find an agent and then a publishing contract, because most days, it really is like trying to push a boulder up a hill all on your own.
If you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll know by now that I'm stubborn to the point of stupid, so despite the seemingly impossible task, I'm just going to keep pushing.

1 comment:

Kez said...

Being persistent seems to be a very valuable skill!