Sunday, September 5, 2010

Taking A Break

I've only got 12,000 words left to write on the sci-fi/futuristic romance manuscript I'm calling Atrophy, a few days work at the most. But I haven't done any writing in the last couple of days and probably won't today either.
On Friday I went to Melbourne to meet up with Tracey O'Hara who was down for World Con and doing a book signing at Rendezvous. She also had Erica Hayes with her, who I knew of, but had never personally talked to before. Erica was lovely and we all went out for lunch to talk 'shop'. I had a fantastic day, it was great to actually talk to some other writers face to face, who were also fellow RWAus members.
I've been thinking about joining the Melbourne Romance Writers Guild, but I don't live in Melbourne, so it'd be a bit of a drive to get there for their meetings. But after how much enjoyment I got out of simply meeting Tracey and Erica for lunch, I decided that despite the drive and other logistics of it, I'm going to make it work.
On top of that, I had a few other things taking up my weekend, so I decided to make it a long-weekend, give myself a three day break. Though writing doesn't seem like such hard work most of the time, I really have been pushing myself in the last seven weeks to get Atrophy finished so I can query The Agent. I've been hearing a few rumblings that futurstic is going to be the next big wave, editors are starting to look for them, together with the fact that I just sold my paranormal sci-fi to Noble, gives me hope that this round of agent-querying will yeild some results.

3 comments:

Tez Miller said...

I've been hearing a few rumblings that futurstic is going to be the next big wave

I so hope that's true! I love reading futuristics, so it'd be awesome to have more choice :-)

Jess Anastasi said...

I ope so too! I've always loved futuristics, and you're right, until know there hadn't been much of a choice. But with the rising popularity of authors like Linnea Sinclair, Susan Grant and Sherrilyn Kenyon's League series hitting #1 on the NYT bestsellers list, seems like things are looking up for sci/fi - futuristic romance.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Go the futuristic Jess. Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with you in Melbourne. I went to Rendevouz the day before as I knew I had full on WorldCon day on the Friday :(