Sunday, September 26, 2010

Can't Take My Own Advice

Apparently I'm not as smart as I think I am. I broke one of the golden rules of querying.
That's right, I went and did exactly what I said I wasn't going to do in my last blog post. I spent the morning thinking about the rejection and then went to re-read the blog post that agent had put up about receiving generic queries. And I thought "you know what? My summary is so totally bland. What does it really say about my book? Its all too ambiguous."
So I drafted up a reply to the agent along the lines of "thanks for getting back to me so quickly" and then told the truth (for all that might do for me). I said I'd read her blog again and put my thoughts about my generic summary in there and told her she had no obligation to read any further or even reply, but I'd re-written the summary from an entirely different angle.
The worst she can do is not reply (and then put me in her "crazy, annoying, can't-take-no-for-an-answer writers" file and immediately reject me if I ever query her again) and at least this way I was able to sleep last night. I took a massive gamble. The odds of it paying off are so minuscule as to be non-existent, but I had to do it.
And I've still been worrying about the reply I'm going to get from The Agent over my boring, generic query. I'm still having thoughts of sending another query saying "please ignore that last one and read this instead." But it seems even stupider to do that than it was to send a follow-up email to this recent agent.
I suppose I could pull the same stunt with The Agent if she rejects my query. At this rate, I'll be earning myself a reputation all over Agent Town in no time.
All I can do is keep waiting and try not to think too closely about my idiocy.

3 comments:

Lynn Colt said...

I've done the requery thing (and it worked for me) but the key thing is to wait a while (like at least a couple of months) before requerying. That way, if your query WAS generic and forgettable, it gives the agent time to forget it, and then they'll be interested by your new and improved query. Also, it gives you a few months of perspective on that new query and summary.

So I'd suggest waiting on The Agent. I've read on agent blogs that they dislike being emailed 'new versions' of queries before they've even responded to the first one, because it seems unprofessional and they see it as a symptom of the 'querying too soon' syndrome. Same thing with being emailed requeries shortly after being rejected the first time. So I'd suggest giving it some time; you can always query them later down the road, right?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jess Anastasi said...

Thanks, Lynn.
Patience is not one of my virtues!
Despite the fact I sent a new query disguised as a thank you email to that other agent, I'm not going to send a second query to The Agent because you're right, I know its a lot of agent's pet hate. So its back to the wait-and-see game, as much as I hate that!
And anyway, there are lots of other agents out there to query if I have no luck with The Agent.

Kez said...

Just read on and found out about the rejection. Bummer :( I hope the new query does the trick for you!