Friday, August 13, 2010

Claytons Conference Day 1

It was a total last minute decision, but since I couldn't get to the RWA conference in Sydney this year, I decided to participate in the online version held over the same weekend for us poor saps who can't manage to get out of the house.
Its been a lot of fun so far and this afternoon I got to do something I'd always wanted to do but hadn't - make a book trailer! I'll add it at the end of this post, but without the music, unfortunately. While I took the trouble to get royalty free photos I could use and post on the net without getting in trouble over, for the sake of the workshop (when it wasn't going anywhere besides my computer) I put the song O Verona from the Romeo and Juliet movie over it.
There were also a couple of writing challenges. The first one was a character profile with GMC (goal, motivation, conflict) which I enjoyed and managed to work into a whole book idea for my futuristic series I'm working on at the moment. The second challenge was to re-write the end of one of your chapters using a different POV and then making it into a different ending. I found that one quiet challenging, but did get something submitted a few minuted before the deadline. There was some interesting discussion about how it can show when a scene is maybe in the wrong character's POV.
Tomorrow morning there will be an opportunity to pitch to Noble publishing, but since I don't write erotica, I won't be doing that. In the afternoon the very fab Tracey O'Hara will be our guest speaker and I'll be interested to see what day 2's writing challenges bring.
But I should go get some sleep. Obviously there I won't be getting any writing done on my wip for the next couple of days, but for something like this, I don't mind the delay.


video

No comments: