Thursday, August 5, 2010

...And Then The Phone Rang

Sometimes writing terrifies me. Often when I sit down to write I have no idea whats going to happen in the scene/chapter I'm about to write, nothing but a vague idea. I'm a total pantser and quietly sometimes I wonder where the ideas come from and what happens if one day there's just no more words?
But on the flipside to this, sometimes its exciting. Its like reading a book to find out whats going to happen. I'm as in the dark as anyone, except apparently I'm at the controls. What I love most about this is when characters do something totally unexpected. Or a development comes to light that is entirely left field and I'm surprised and intrigued by the new direction.
It reminds me of those writing exercises we used to have to do when I was studying. If a scene was boring or stagnant, the general idea was the phone would ring or someone would whip out a gun and it would take the story in a whole different direction, because then you'd need to answer the question of who was on the phone and why that person over there suddenly decided to be armed.
A couple of days ago, I had a character walk into a room to confront another character about something. Sounds pretty boring, run of the mill, yes. But the direction that conversation took and the resulting emotional fallout was almost as big a shock to me as it was to my characters. Now I'm dying to know what other issues are going to come out of this, but frustratingly, I remain clueless until I finish writing the book. Another reason to keep working hard and my daily word totals above the 1000 words mark!

No comments: