Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Changing Habits

I've never liked writing at night. Actually, its not so much that I don't like it, its more that I have a lot of trouble getting my brain to cooperate after about 6pm. If I had my way, I'd do all of my writing and editing in the morning after breakfast, over lunch and into the early afternoon. This seems to be the time of day when the words and ideas flow easiest. However, as most writers will tell you, life often gets in the way, so there aren't many days when sitting down to write at this time of day is a viable option. In the past few weeks, I've been making myself sit down for an hour or so of work after dinner. The first few nights I did this, it was like trying to drive a car with one of those boot things on the tire. I was going nowhere fast. But slowly, my brain seems to be getting used to it, I suppose its a bit like exercising. The past few nights haven't seemed as hard and once I get going, I'm fine.
Perhaps one day in the future, I'll be in a better position to write during the morning or whenever I feel like it. But for now, out of necessity, I needed to change my writing habits in order to actually get some writing done.

No comments: