Thursday, June 10, 2010

Competition Fever Continues

So I decided this week that I'm also going to enter the Colorado Romance Writers Heart of the Rockies comp, which closes next Tuesday. I won't get the results until September, and even if I don't make the final, I think it'll still be worth the almost-one-hundred dollars it cost me by the time I converted the entry fee to US dollars, ordered a bank cheque in said currency and express-couriered the payment and entry form to Colorado (hello, $42 of postage... eeek!). The reason I feel it'll be more than worth it is because your entry is read by at least one published author and you're provided with a score sheet focusing on 20 problem areas and a separate one-page critique. My CP is worth twice her weight in gold, don't get me wrong, but its also good to get other perspectives as well.
Come the end of the year, I'm thinking about taking on the big-guns and entering it in RWAmerica's Golden Heart award. By this time I'm hoping to start querying agents as well. Of course, in order to be able to do all that, I need to get the ms together, not just talk about it. So I should probably go do that now.
Oh, and I'm still waiting on results from RWAus's Val Parv award. Its been almost 3 months and I'm starting to go nuts. Surely the results must be coming in any day now? And I'm not thinking about my submission with Silhouette in New York. I've resigned myself to not hearing back about that for a year or two.

No comments: