Monday, May 3, 2010

Why I Prefer Submitting to Agents

Before I started doing the agent rounds, I did the publisher slush pile thing. And now I'm reminded of why I turned to querying agents instead. Sometimes a publisher would take at least six months to get back to me. And that was a very quick response. In most cases it took over a year and in one memorable case, it took a certain publishing house three years to write back to me about a submission.
I should have remembered this when submitting to Silhouette in New York. I've seen some stories from other RWA members about how long its taken them to get anywhere with the HM&B lines, submissions dating back to 2007 they're still waiting to hear from.
I beginning to think I should just submit my manuscript to Harlequin Intrigue in London and maybe also the Kensington Brava imprint. At least that way I won't have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. The other thing to do would be to get my SOAP manuscript finished and fixed up so I can begin querying agents again.
And I'll tell you why I prefer submitting to agents. Because you actually tend to hear back from them in a decent amount of time. Sure, sometimes its a couple of months, but not a couple of years. And okay, sure, some of them have a policy of no response means no, leaving you wondering if it is a 'no' or if your query actually ended up in their spam filter. But still, in most cases you know where you stand.
So while I plan on getting a couple more slush-pile submissions together, here's me resigning myself to not hearing anything about them until 2014. Who knows, maybe my SOAP books will have become a best-selling series by then.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Searching for the Ultimate Dating Site? Join and find your perfect date.