Monday, March 29, 2010

Making My Head Hurt

I have a problem with the first book in my SOAP series.
The beginning.
Not a small problem by any means when I can't seem to find a way to start this book which I'm happy with. Sometimes my book ideas come with the a great opening scene, like the two category romantic suspense manuscripts I've been working on. Sometimes my book ideas only come with other scenes and I have to work my brain overtime to come up with a way to set the mood. I've lost count of how many times I've re-written the opening scene to SOAP book #1. After re-writing yet another beginning yesterday and giving myself a headache from frustration because it just didn't seem to be working, last night I think my brain solved it for me while I was sleeping. Funnily enough (or not so funny, where all the headaches are concerned) I've decided to go back and use the very first original starting I wrote, but a different version of it, if that makes sense.
In regards to the actual Brava competition, I'm flying a little blind at the moment since none of the details have been released. I assumed the manuscript would have to be single title length (around 90,000 to 100,000 words), but Brava actually publishers any length, from 15,000 to 100,000 words. Therefore, I may actually be able to enter my 55,000 word length category I've been sending around these past few months.
Meanwhile, I'm halfway through Christine Feehan's Street Game and boy, do I have a lot to say about that. But I'll resist judgement until I'm actually finished it and leave that for another post on a different day.
Now, unfortunately my bathroom is due for a good cleaning, so back to the real world I go.

1 comment:

Cathryn Brunet said...

Good luck with everything, Jess. Sounds like you've been working your bum off.