Friday, February 19, 2010

Life Gets in The Way

My non-existent word tallies have continued this week, but I can't say I haven't done anything, even though it might feel like it. I've been entering the Chase the Dream writer's comp the past few weeks, to no avail. Besides that I've been looking over the judge's reports from the RWA Emerald comp, trying to decide what comments I might take on to improve the piece. I'm going to go over it again with my CP, because obviously I trust her judgement above all others. This next comp, the Val Parv award, is the important one. First prize is a mentorship with Valerie Parv, and the opportunity to have your ms read by Silhouette editor Leslie Wainger. I want to at least make the short list, which means I have to be in the top 6.
As with trying to find an agent, I think this is partly going to come down to luck, reflected in the Emerald. As I said in my previous post, two of the judges scored me only a few points off perfect, while the third only scored me half, a 50%, which absolutely slayed my overall ranking. If I can land my ms with judges who all felt the same as with the High Five where I place 10th, I don't see any reason why this isn't totally doable. But like I said, it comes down to luck. Which, considering all the hard work I put into this gig, really offends my sensibilities.
I'm starting to think its like trying to make a career out of playing the lottery. You could be a maths genius, play the probabilities, study the numbers that have come up in the past and make some chart about what numbers are likely to come up in the future, but not matter how long or hard you work, its all going to come down to luck in the end. What little coloured balls fate decides to throw out of the machine. Just like it depends for me which judges fate decides to put my manuscript in front of.
So I guess the moral of the story is I can only make my manuscript the best I can and hope the judges, editors or agents who read it are my lottery winning numbers.

No comments: