Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Writer In All of Us

Nathan Bransford always has the most interesting posts. His latest one is about the apparent fact that every second person these days is writing a book and questions why this might be.
For a start, I think media has a lot to answer for in this. With authors like JK Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, etc, etc who rose from relative obscurity to become best-selling, richer-than-the-queen-of-England authors with smash hit movies being talked about all over the place, well, I guess its kind of like winning the lotto. Its the dream. Fame and fortune and being viewed as a creative genius. Lets face it, who wouldn't want that?
I've been doing this for many, many years now and while the thought of what monetary windfall I might get from having my books published isn't bad, the thought of being famous, of being a household name, of having my photo taken because I happen to walk into a shop and buy a new handbag scares the bejesus out of me. I don't want that. No way, no how. Even the thought of getting 'fan mail' wiggs me out. I write because I'm compelled to, its in my blood. I try to get published because when I get a little buzz out of something I've written, or something I've read of another author's, I want to share that with people. I don't expect to make very much money when I do finally get published, because that's not the reason I'm here. I guess there's no right or wrong reason to do any of this, but for me thoughts of fame and fortune are the last things I expect from my hard work.

No comments: