Thursday, October 22, 2009

Question of Self

Nathan Bransford has had a lot of interesting things going on over at his blog lately. Yesterday there was a post about writer sensitivity and today a follow up post about one comment in particular. This commenter suggested the senstive/bitter/prone to abuse agent and editors writers are often lashing out because of many other factors in their lives. By pursuing their dream of writing, they've lost thier job, their marriage, their kids, have all but failed in the eyes of everyone they know. The commenter went on to say as writers we should take a hard look at what we're doing, whether we should be doing it, whether its become not a hobby, but an addiction.
I'm guilty of the occasional (or not so occasional) rant about these writers making it harder for the rest of us. And these questions posed would be very hard for many people to face or even begin to answer.
For myself, I know my writing drives me hard and borders on addiction, I just said something along those lines the other day. How else would I force myself to find time to write and edit in a house with two kids under 2? I've structured my writing as a career, making sure I have a balance between family and work. If I had to give up one for the other, my family would always be first. At the end of the day, no matter how many books you write, they can't love you, support you and comfort you as only a family can. So I do find it sad that some people give up everything in life to chase their dream, only for it to eventually go nowhere. You have to wonder where the point is that will say to them its time to cut your losses and regain what is really important in life. Maybe for some, there isn't one.

No comments: