I have to question my motives, really, I do. As you might know, I've been working on my old historical romance manuscript with my crit partner through Romance Writers Australia. Though things have been going along quite well (evidence of which is supported by the great rejection I got from The Agent a few weeks ago) but I've been having some issues with the manuscript. I don't like the prologue and several other scenes, and had not been able to stop thinking about The Agent's statement that she wasn't riveted by the execution, despite saying I'm a talented writer.
From fellow writers I've had either one of two responses upon discussion of the rejection. The first being that the execution is something I can work on and I'm closer than ever to getting an agent/publishing contract. The second has been that this type of rejection is similar to the old "just didn't love your voice/wasn't passionate about it" rejection which I can't do anything about because my voice obviously isn't so changeable. Instead, I just need to plod on and submit to some other agents.
When taking all of this into consideration, I of course came to a decision which means a tone more work for myself. Yes, I am going to query another handful of agents, but in the meantime, I've decided on the grand re-write. This isn't the first time I've considered doing it to this particular manuscript. Maybe I should have saved myself a lot of time and trouble and just done the re-write in the first place. One of the major issues I think stems from the fact that this manuscript is practically the first thing I wrote, seven years ago now. Obviously over the ensuing years my voice have evolved and refined, I know a lot more now than I did then, so I really think the manuscript is coming from a place where I just can't fix it anymore.
So I started the grand re-write last night, sent a smaple (as I always spell it for some reason, duh) sample to my CP to see what she thinks about the whole thing and we'll go from there. Despite my dislike of the project as it is, it would be a whole lot easier if the next agent I query sends me a big fat "YES" email.