Sunday, January 4, 2009

Re-Written

I did it. I chopped and re-wrote the first couple of pages. Once it was done I sent it back to Cafrine for her opinion. She replied and told me she was sad to see the opening line go, because she really loved the way the book started off (and I began thinking, "oh-no, what have I done?"). But then she said while what I have before was good, what I have now is so much better. That annoying character is still there, but now he's not annoying anymore. And while it all links in with the rest of the book, it also reveals what sort of character my heroine is without being blatantly told.
Now I'll pass it on to my Editorial Advisor (aka my sister-in-law) and see what she has to say about it. But I'll tell you this; I feel like I'm close. Much closer now. Closer to the product which will be The Book which will launch my career as a published author. Bring on 2009!
Song: Nosebleed Section by Hilltop Hoods

3 comments:

Monique Wood said...

So glad the changes to your ms are working for you :-)

Justus M. Bowman said...

:) Keep at it.

The Dribbler said...

All the best with this, Jess. I always find it incredibly hard to rewrite an opening sequence because I've usually agonised for weeks over it. Setting the ms aside for a few months cures me of that though. There's nothing quite like a break to show you a manuscript's faults. Mine tend to have bucketloads. Rotten things.

Good luck in 2009. Here's hoping all our hard work pays off.