Saturday, January 3, 2009

Opening Scene

I gave the first three chapters back to Cafrine after I'd had a go at fixing the issues she'd pointed out to me. She got back to me quickly since I mentioned to her I want to submit to Firebrand Lit by the 15th of this month.
It seemed I'd manged to improve everything except for the pesky opening scene. I have trouble with these, as I know many writers do. Obviously the opening scene needs to have several functions.
1) it needs to draw the reader in immediately and hold their attention
2) it needs to be relevant to the overall story
3) it needs to start revealing information about the characters and plot without the reader feeling they've been hit over the head with it
I've always had trouble finding a balance between these three elements. When I concentrate on one I seem to lose the others. At the moment my opening scene is attention-grabbing and is relevant to the overall story, but it tells rather than shows information about my main character. Also there's this other non-consequential character who is really annoying me. So now I'm thinking about how I could start my book with all three of these elements and excluding the annoying character. You know me, when I can't fix something I re-write. Unsurprisingly I'm about to go chop the opening scene and write something new. Wish me luck!
Song: Holy Grail by Hunters and Collectors

1 comment:

Monique Wood said...

Ah, I know how you feel. I have the 'show not tell' problem as well!

Good luck wrestling that wip into shape.

:-) Mon