Thursday, January 29, 2009

Burst

I know, I write in fits and starts. I'll go for weeks and barely type a word, then all of a sudden I sit down and pull 5000 words out of nowhere. Of course, I'm not complaining. Writing that 5000 words yesterday made me very happy. If only I could sit down every day and write 5000-odd words, I've have this manuscript finished in no time!
I do know that I seriously need to do some hard work and get it finished though. I'm starting to get the itch again. The urge to start sending queries to agents. I suppose if I get some of that discipline I'm always talking about, my aim to be finished by June might not be so far off.
In other news, I found out yesterday that I got into the first RWAustralia Bootcamp for the year. It's kinda like a bunch of mini online workshops or conference. I applied for the intermediate to advanced one, since after eight years I can't really be considered a beginner any more, can I? Anyway, it should be good, we'll be doing Character Arcs with author Diane Gaston, Dialogue with author Robyn Grady, Sexual Tension with author Carol Marinelli, The Language of the Synopsis with author Denise Rossetti (which I'm really looking forward to, I think I need it, which you'd already know if you were aware of my loathing of the synopsis), Looking After Your Writer's Body with Dana Fletcher-Scully. We also get to do some question time with Keri Arthur and Anna Campbell, which will be very exciting! Sometime between now and then, I need to work out some questions to ask them that I can relate back to my own work and experiences. All these things are helping me get closer to landing an agent.
Song: Miss You Love by Silverchair

2 comments:

lynn said...

that's awesome about the bootcamp thing--it sounds like it'll be great, esp the synopsis one! I've managed to get my synopsis into something I'm not embarrassed to send out, but it's a prickly beast for sure :)

The Dribbler said...

The bootcamp should be fantastic. I hope you blog about the experience. I'll be really interested to hear what you think.

And I know all about the itch to submit. I need to mount a new assault but I feel too snowed under with other stuff.

Still, no one's going to discover you if you don't submit. On the other hand, you don't want to send out work that isn't polished to within an inch of its life. But then, you can't stay editing something forever, either....

Argh. This is making my head hurt.