Friday, December 5, 2008

Small Update

I don't have much to report this morning, just that I managed to write another 2,500 words throughout yesterday. It's not going too badly at the moment, but hopefully I'll be able to get some feedback soon to pick up on the things that already might need fixing. I think I've mostly avoided the information dumping problem. I often have this urge to over-explain things, but I think I've been avoiding the temptation.
Hopefully I'll get another few thousand words done today.
Song: What It's Like by Everlast

2 comments:

Justus M. Bowman said...

Sounds like you're working hard. :) I'll try to do some of the same today.

Oh, about your post on the BookEnds blog, you're right. I do read posts where agents describe people who blew up when rejected. It doesn't make sense to me, but it happens.

bunnygirl said...

As writers, we have to know almost everything about our main characters, but if we dump all that knowledge on the reader it stops the action of the story and drags it down. It's hard to find the right balance, but it gets easier.

I know one writer who cured herself of the info-dump habit by writing fan fiction. Since the characters were already well-known (by the group members, not by me, LOL), she was able to concentrate on telling the story. I read her stories without ever feeling confused because she told all that was needed through dialogue, setting and action.

Remember that readers like to feel smart, and small things can speak volumes in much the same way that a talented artist can, with a few carefully chosen brush strokes, evoke an entire scene.

Be an artist with words.