Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chipping Away

Yesterday I wrote 700 after my daughter went to bed for the night but before NCIS started. And it reminded me why I have a No Writing After 6 O'clock rule. For one, it switches on my brain and then when I go to bed it takes me several hours to go to sleep, which drives me nuts. And secondly, I just can't write at that time of night. I am definitely a morning-writer. By the end of the day my brain is so clogged up with stuff that happened all day that it's next to impossible to get it to function on any sort of productive level.
Nathan Bransford has about 700 entries for his first paragraph comp, and I'd just like to know, how does 300-odd words qualify as a first paragraph? I know, I know, I shouldn't bitch about it, but seriously. 300 words is the first page, not an opening paragraph. Perhaps some sort of line should have been drawn in terms of wordcount. I don't envy him sifting through all those entries.
Song: No Rain by Blind Melon

1 comment:

Justus M. Bowman said...

Yeah, the size difference between "first paragraphs" is large. I'm sure mine doesn't break 100 words, though I can't remember the exact count (80?).

I wondered what would happen if someone decided to start a book with dialogue...

First paragraph: 'Hello, John.'