Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Results

I got the results of the RWA STALI comp I entered and unhappily didn't do as well as I'd hoped. Interestingly enough, I did worse this year (a lot worse) than the previous year with the same manuscript. How is that possible? Does it mean that my attempts at editing are actually making my novel worse? The thought of that is seriously scary.
Apart from a few nuts and bolts issues, the overall opinion of the judges was that the whole idea was fantastic, that I might seriously have something here, I just need to improve a few things and I'll have something to go with. I think partly my score was a lot lower because while three of the judges scored me similar to last year, one judge was seriously harsh. Like seriously. Like her score was less than half of any of the other judges. And she had some harsh things to say about my work. I've tried not to think about that one too much. Maybe something about the idea or writing rubbed her the wrong way. Maybe she had PMT. Maybe she didn't really like the genre. I don't know, but for some reason she was seriously not impressed with it where the others generally were. So I'm back to the drawing board. I've decided to leave SOAP book 2 for my SRS manuscript for the time being and solely concentrate on really getting SOAP book 1 published. I've enlisted Cafrine's help because I need someone who can take the grammatical and punctual side of it apart for me.
Anyhoo, The Project, or I suppose I can call it Atrophy now, is still coming along. We're getting closer and closer to actually launching something. It's very exciting!
Song: Elegantly Wasted by INXS

2 comments:

bunnygirl said...

Well, writing is subjective. What one person likes, another hates. I'm sorry your overall score was poor, but the fact it was only one judge who brought it down is a good sign. You obviously have something that arouses strong feelings in readers, and that will ultimately work to your advantage.

I'd bet that all the best writers have critics who would rather read the back of a box of Cheerios. As long as your fans outnumber the nay-sayers, you're doing fine.

The Dribbler said...

You probably had the same judge as me. To be fair, she might be right and I might never sell the manuscript she deemed so unworthy. But I'll try like hell to prove her wrong.

I could have done without the confidence drain though, that's for sure.